Checked Bags - United first leg, American 2nd. Do I have to check twice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by nonstopski, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    This might be a *really* dumb question, but realizing I've never done it before. I am flying on United for the first leg of my trip, and then American Airlines after that. Due to the fact that it's a ski trip, I do have carry ons to deal with (ski bag & another bag). Will I have to go get my checked bags out of security and then re-check them with American?

I get into SFO at 1:03 and take off for my next flight at 2:10. Seems tight. May need to fed ex these home :-/

Update: Looks Like I may or may not. Anyone know what American or United's rules/deal is here? https://faq.ebookers.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3947

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was it purchased as a single ticket? If so that's going to help you but even if not it is possible for United to check the bags through to AA for you.

If it is a single ticket then the system should just work without you really needing to do much. If they are separate tickets then you should bring a print out of the AA itinerary, preferably showing the ticket number (13 digits, likely starting with 001) and the PNR (6-character alphanumeric reservation locator) with you and explain to the agent that you have a connecting itinerary and that you would like them to "interline the checked bags through to AA."

nonstopski likes this.
  3. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Multiple tickets as I booked the American leg with miles.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That does make it more challenging. It also puts you at risk if the UA flight is late as neither party is really obligated to help you in case of a misconnect. Also, you will need to change terminals at SFO, including re-clearing security.

Good luck!

5. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    So really,, it's just a question if they will connect the bags to my final destination. If it helps or hurts probability,, I'll be flying out of Mammoth airport. I'm guessing there's no way to insure that United will do this?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA is not obligated to do it so, no, there is no way to guarantee that they will.

7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    What if they say no and tell me I'll have to re-check in SF... then my bags are left in SF cuz I'm boarding the plane.

Is there any way for me from DC to tell them to put them on the next flight to DC? I really don't need the bags immediately so if they come in the next day to DCA I can deal with it.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ummm...not really. UA doesn't really owe you delivery to DC and AA doesn't owe you to carry them if you do not check them in at the time of travel.

9. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest you ship the bags. That's going to be one tight connection. If you do choose to risk it, use American curbside bag check as that will make it much faster for you.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that shipping is the most likely way to get the bags home. The AA cutoff for checked bags at SFO is 40 minutes. Even with curb-side check-in that's going to be hard to meet.

flyforawg likes this.
  11. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, I found the fedex location in Mammoth. Will ship my skis and my other big bag.

12. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is great news! We have done the same for golf clubs, and then for clothing, that would only be appropriate for the latter part of a trip. We have used other forwarding services, but Fed-X has really been pushing their luggage forwarding, so might even have some good prices.

When we skied, we lived in Colorado, so never had to fly (only drive) with that gear, but golf bags HAVE been shipped, with great results.

I also think that you will be better off, as even on UA (but with separate tickets and confirmations - for various reasons), had to get the ticket agent to work a bit, to get our luggage to the final destination. The curbside folk were totally unable to put the tickets together, and even the TA's had some work to do - we allowed an extra hour (3 total) for check-in, due to the two tickets, and am glad that we did, since it took a good 45 mins. to make it happen.

Fly and ski safely!