Checked bags sent on earlier flights than you're flying

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I suspect UA believes that it is doing us a favour, I find it rather annoying when my checked bag is dispatched on an earlier flight that I am not on. Upon arrival (at least at LAX) and riding the carousel until everyone has departed, the bag is retrieved by an agent and locked away in a distant room. I arrive off my later flight and wait for my bag on the carousel it is supposed to come down. But it doesn't show. So I go off to the luggage counter and wait in a long line of other passengers until the agent can deal with me...and after tapping into her computer, tells me what I suspect.

Does this practice not annoy others? Is UA really doing us, or its own staff, a favour? (And what about the security stricture that checked bags must travel with the passenger checking them, or vice versa?)

East_Yorker likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This really only applies when the passenger voluntarily tries to separate themselves from their bag rather than should the company do it for them for operational reasons.

The agents are supposed to put the bags back out at the carousel so they're with the "real" arrival luggage but agents get busy or lazy some times. At some stations the bags are out on display so it is easy to scan the collection while waiting for the carousel to start up and make sure yours wasn't forwarded prior to your actual flight. Not always, but sometimes an option.

As for whether it is really doing anyone a favor, probably. Much like many feel that passengers should be allowed to catch an earlire connecting flight if there is no charge so as to free up the space for a later passenger, doing the same with the bags is likely a net positive in the big picture.

East_Yorker likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    While i dont often check bags, I don't like this practice either. Too often do I get to the carousel just to find a couple of abandoned bags from an earlier flight using that carousel sitting or circling. So while the luggage agents are SUPPOSED to grab them and secure them, as you say they sometimes get lazy or busy and I'd rather not have my bag sit around unattended forever.

Not sure how common these are at other airports, but at SFO UA has self-service machines near the carousels that let you check on the status of your bags. Presumably it would tell you if it had arrived on an earlier flight and was nowin a secured storage area.

East_Yorker and BurBunny like this.
  4. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the rare occasion that I check a bag, these machines are always the first place I stop (after all, I've got nothing better to do until bags start coming out) - to make sure my bag made it to my destination or if it's there already.

East_Yorker and adambadam like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Would be nice if UA/CO put this information on their website, so I can just look it up on my phone. Like... uh... Delta

http://blog.delta.com/2011/04/21/new-help-for-your-delayed-bags/

East_Yorker likes this.
  6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are present at SEA, as well, so I assume some kind of nationwide roll-out is coming. But the OP complained about LAX specifically, and I'm not surprised. I never check bags when going to LAX.

East_Yorker likes this.
  8. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always my first stop as well when available. Has saved me waiting for luggage that misconnected a couple times. Have been able to put in my claim and be out the door before the bags from my flight hit the carousel. I love these kiosks!

East_Yorker and sunseeker like this.
  9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has happened to me before and as a habit now when I fly, especially hub to hub where there a lot of flights and frequency, I will now check the machines first. With that said I usually find my bag just sitting with a bunch of others and not yet processed and locked up so it is pretty easy to just grab it and go, usually before even the regular bags come off.

East_Yorker likes this.
  10. corster
    Original Member

corster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had this happen to me last year when I flew YYZ-SFO-LAX and my bag was sent on the nonstop AC YYZ-LAX flight, which actually arrived in LA two hours before I did.

Problem was, nobody at UA knew AC had my bag. Didn't get it back for another 12 hours.