Checked Baggage in the Transit Area/Lounge in Changi Airport

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by anileze, Jul 26, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never had a situation occur which required me to check in luggage mid-journey. So here goes the question:

I know I can do this by clearing immigrations and then go through check-in-security-reenter process ! I will be arriving on a different non-alliance carrier with a carryon, to SIN. Few hours (more like 5+ hours) later taking DL to US via NRT. Is it possible to check one of my bags at the DL transit desk Airside ? I want to avoid having to go Landside.

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope that another IF member can answer your question, would be interesting to know.

Cheers & Safe Travels. :)

anileze likes this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tried searching for this info but the only references I found were a few years ago.
    I would say the worse case is what you have already mention: leave and re-enter.
    But before leaving the airside, try asking at the transit desks and the transfer lounges.
    With over 5hr of layover, you should have plenty of time either way to decide what's the best course of action.

I also think Delta does not have a real counter (airside) and it is a generic counter for all transit passengers but I am not sure as my travel always either start or end at Changi Airport. Also, as Delta only has 1 flight a day out of Singapore, their landside counter only opens ~ 3 hours before boarding. Do take that into consideration when you "leave" the airside which has much more things to do than landside at that hour.

Dublin_rfk and anileze like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    All correct. I have arrived on DL flights and had to go outside, and check in baggage as the onward carrier had weight limit plus combined hand bag limits :(

I was wondering if I could ask for a gate check after security screening at the gate ?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that once you go landside, you cannot return to airside until after DL opens the check in counter, even if you've done "OLCI."

However, if you have the bag with you airside, why does it need to be checked? Would you be willing to gamble that DL will gate check it for you and, if that doesn't work, to carry it on board?

BTW, SIN has some fussy and IME unique rules regarding prohibited items in carry on bags. In particular, NO SCISSORS or any size and description are permitted, unlike the case in USA, EU, and Japan where small scissors are permitted, including manicure scissors.

anileze likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will have a large liquid bottle, which I am going to bring from BKK, which will pose a challenge @ NRT, and hence a need to convert my traditional carryon to a checked bag without going through immigrations, and landside to DL counters that open at 0400 ?

7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will in fact pose a problem immediately at SIN as you are screened at the gate again before boarding. At that point, they will ask you to dispose of the liquid.

You just might need to exit airside and re-checkin again. As you have time, ask the information desk staff airside for their advice before exiting?

8. kkua

kkua Active Member

Status Points:
    There is a way.... and I've had it done before. I purchased duty-free spirits at SIN and placed it in bag and consequently checked-in for cargo hold.

1. Transfer D opens 3 hours before DL's daily flight at dawn (sometime around 3:50am).
    2. Proceed with security interview, check-in normally and get boarding pass.
    3. They will ask for interline luggage tags and tell them you have none but...
    4. You have a bag to check to final destination on DL.
    5. Have the agent print a luggage tag at airside check-in and bring it to the gate
    6. Notify the security officers at D44 luggage will be held in cargo.
    7. Sometimes it's at gate D42.
    8. Pass security checkpoint and proceed to counter inside holding area
    9. Scan your boarding pass and identify yourself and ask for your luggage tag
    10. Staff will be wheeling luggage down the jetway ramp and put luggage in cargo.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    anileze likes this.