Check in ASAP for Alaska flights if you are upgraded

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by marcwint55, Mar 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I were both upgraded on a flight from Bur to Sea. We didn't check in 24 hours early and late in the evening we wanted to check in for the 11 am flight the next day. Not only were we no longer in first, but we were stuck in middle row seats in economy. We never received an e-mail or phone call due to a late change of planes.

After calling the airline and spending considerable time on the phone, we changed to the 7am flight so my wife could still sit in first and I was able to get an exit row aisle seat.

We were told that due to a change in service from a 737-800 to a 737-400 there were four less seats and the last people to check in lost their seats. Status did not matter, only check in time since the others already had their boarding passes.

This was a first for me. I think it is absurd to let a lower level member keep the upgrade over a top level elite, but that is the way it works in a situation like the one we experienced.

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great information and sage advice for all travelers on all airlines.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. Edelman

Edelman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good advice but I'd point out that you were involuntarily downgraded. I've not reviewed AS CoC's to see if a change of equipment is one of the exceptions so that they don't have to pay compensation but you might take a look. It might make you feel better if AS made it up to you. My experience is they are far and away the best airline when it comes to doing the right thing.

JFitzloff and flyforawg like this.
  4. puchski1

puchski1 Active Member

Status Points:
    You were probably booked in row 4 in F. I never select row 4 in case there is an equipment change to a 3 row F cabin. It does happen as long as AS keeps their older 3 row 737-400s and substitutes these old workhorses when a newer 737 goes offline.

5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 737-700s also have just 12 seats in F. Between the -4 and -7s (excepting the combis as they are an extremely unlikely substitution for a normal mainline flight) there are 35 aircraft in the fleet with 12 seats in F, compared to 103 with 16. Bad luck. :( Hard to understand the logic behind a lot of things they do, but I do sort of understand bumping the last. Also, do you know for SURE that those remaining in first were upgraded and checked in from a lower tier, or were those passengers possibly the same level of elite as you or paid for First, be it via the money upgrade or buying a proper F ticket?

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    While one doesn't necessarily know for sure what occurred in the OP's case, historically, Row 4 is the "first to go" regardless of how one got there. This is common knowledge among many an AS elite.

timfrost likes this.
  7. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second that it is unlikely that it was due to checking in late and most likely due to being in Row 4. Now it is important to monitor your reservation and adjust your seats as soon as you see that you are upgraded. I have found that the majority of the time, the system automatically upgrades us into Row 1 or 4 and we need to move to Rows 2 or 3 to avoid the possibility of an equipment change ruining our day. We have also found that Row 4 can be very noisy from the main cabin.

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I find when my upgrades come through, I am by default seated in row 4 or 5 if they are empty, never further up. I always move to row 2 or 3 if they're open...and they almost always are. (I list aisle preference.)

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was my understanding that AS Customer Relations would offer a gesture of goodwill in situations like these. Did you receive something for the DG to economy @marcwint55?