Check in and security Bogota

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Nov 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight is at 0750 to IAH on a Monday, anyone who has taken this flight, I would appreciate how long prior to departure must I be at the airport? Will try and check-in on-line, carry on only, so guess it is pretty much going to security.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not taken that flight, but the last time I flew to Bogota (approximately one year ago), security was fairly quick. I arrived about two hours before the flight and had lots of time to kill before boarding.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly out of BOG frequently, and although I have not flown on that particular flight, there is a huge Security/Immigration area that always seems to be well staffed. If you have Premier status, then you should have plenty of time if you arrive 1.5 hours prior. Probably OK with less time, but that would be my personal comfort level to factor in any irregular check-in or security clearance problems.

If you are in Colombia for less than 90 days (I think that's the limit), then you will need to go to the Impuestos/Taxes windows to get a stamp in your passport that allows you to depart without paying the departure tax. If you don't have that stamp, UA will have to charge you $37. The line for that stamp is unpredictable in its length, so that is calculated into my 1.5 hour window.

Disclaimer: I had a friend who was Plat on AA and was denied check in because he arrived at the check in counter less than 1.5 hours prior to departure from SJO. I have never had that problem on UA, CM or AV, but if AA does it, you never know when UA may pull out some rule to help alleviate an oversold situation without paying IDB fees.

marcwint55 and sfo1 like this.
  5. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never understood that stupid tax line, but as I recall its directly behind UA's counters

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I will be staying at the Marriott at the airport, so won't have to far to go. Will plan to be at the airport by 0600. By the way, is there a lounge for *A

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if you have stayed at that Marriott before, but it is very, very upscale. Avianca put me there one time for irrops compensation, and it resulted in the Marriott Bogotá replacing the Hilton Bogotá as my favorite hotel in that city. If you have status, hopefully you'll be on one of the executive floors. The lounge is really nice, although you'll probably be leaving too early to take advantage of their first class breakfast buffet.

Avianca has an OK lounge that is accessible for *A pax. It's big, and they certainly have more food than does any UC I've ever visited, but it's nothing special. I always have trouble with the internet there, so you might ask for clear instructions before you head off to sit down after checking in and getting your access code. It's not clear as to which network we are to use, and I always struggle with it.

After clearing Security/Immigration, you'll be forced to walk through a mini-mall before actually reaching the gate area. Take a left at the end of that detour, and the Avianca Club (VIP Club is what they call it) is about 20 feet or so down on your left, upstairs. There are three fast food options in that area before you enter the club in case you want some semi-real food.

The international terminal is very impressive. Hopefully they will have the construction completed prior to your departure. It can be a bit of a mess right now, with many departures and arrivals taking place from stands. Don't be late to the gate, as you might have to take a bus to the stand. If you're late, you're screwed. They are claiming that it will be complete some time in December, but I think that's optimistic. February is my personal, uninformed prediction, just judging from the pace, but what they are building is a real masterpiece. You'll be impressed.

sfo1 likes this.
  8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank for the information. Won't be going until next May. I had a feeling the Marriott was pretty nice. Am going to be there 4 nights, and will be getting a very attractive rate. Won't be on the executive floor though I am sure, do to the rate, unless the gold card/1K UA that was matched does something for me. Your right, I don't think I will make breakfast the last day, so will head to the airport a little earlier than I thought to get something to eat. I have been given a complimentary upgrade for the UA flight, so breakfast will probably be served, however there may be a glich in the UG as I have had to change flights on the way back due to a schedule change by UA. Am waiting for the ticket to be re-issued and hopefully they will put me back in 1st, if not will call them and see if it is possible.

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your 1K UA status gives you Gold status with Marriott automatically. You just have to make sure to give UA your MR number. I got the upgrade, even when AV put me there on what was certainly a steeply discounted rate. I couldn't even order from the regular menus in the restaurants unless I wanted to pay, but my Gold status got me on the Executive floor. Enjoy!