Check-in 4square like feature ?

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by squid, Nov 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there some geo-aware status tracking and geo-checkin to find other milers or see where milers have been active in last eg 2 hours or to otherwise earn meaningless status levels ?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    PS. Posted from DFW Admirals club at D24.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We have been testing a few different applications and just can't seem to find the right combination of this. I'm sort of a fan of certain uses of this (the non-stalking type) but seem to find holes in just about everyone of them. But to answer your question - it is on our "radar" to make available a member "radar" if a member wants to opt into finding others nearby.

viguera, chrislacey and squid like this.
  4. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did I not post a link to a Fodors/Slate story on such a 'check in with people you may know' feature ?
    Maybe I previewed it but didn't post. I will search for it again.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know... I knew a few of us threw a few ideas earlier but didn't know if someone had been listening. :)

Me personally wouldn't mind something built into the MP mobile app as an optional setting, so you could see who's nearby as you make your way through an airport if you have time to spare.

6. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here it is:

Travelers on KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will soon be able to use their Facebook and LinkedIn profiles to find passengers with similar interests—as long as there's mutual consent in viewing personal information. The service is expected to become available on KLM's Facebook page in early 2012, but there's been no word on whether there will be a fee.
    Earlier this year, Malaysia Airlines took the link between social media and seat selection one step further. In March, the carrier introducedMHbuddy, which allows passengers to book tickets through the airline's Facebook page and find the ideal seatmate during check-in.
    Flyers on Malaysian are able to see where friends on the same flight are sitting because seat selections can be made public. The service also includes the option to share trip itineraries and final destinations.

Is Seatmate Selection the Next Trend in Air Travel?

December 19, 2011

By Rachel Klein
    Fodor's Editor

7. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points: