Check bag question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Justin Johnson, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm leaving tomorrow for Europe. As a last min idea I thought about packing my Skateboard. Do you the collective think I will get away with packing it in my backpack. 90% of the deck fits only the last 3 inches sticks out the top of the bag. See attached image.

My question is will they make me take it out and check it as a second item?
    FYI it would be cheaper to buy a new deck then to pay the $60 for a second bag.
    As always thanks for your time

Attached Files:

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew on DL to Canada earlier this summer on a regional jet, and a pax was allowed to take his skateboard onboard the plane. He had it out and not in a bag or box, but just as one of his carry-on items. It fit very easily in an overhead locker. No one seemed to give him a hard time at any time.

We were going to YYG, where you exit the plane onto the tarmac. The pax had a really good time skating out and about on the way in to the terminal.

Justin Johnson likes this.
  3. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    An alert agent will more than likely make you take it out and let you have it as a carry-on or make you check it as a separate item. I don't think you want to risk having it protrude out of your backpack anyway. Luggage gets tossed around quite a bit and if the skateboard gets separated from the backpack, the airline will have no way of establishing its owner without a bag tag on it.

Do as NYBanker suggests. It poses the least amount of risk and ensures it arrives at your final destination without it being damaged.

4. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update:
    Just got back from the trip and all went well with my bag. No issue checking it the way its show in the first post.
    My friends bag was lost, almost the same bag as mine, took AA two weeks to find it so he just had it sent home.
    Lets just say it is not very fun to backpack around Europe without a backpack.

5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could say the same thing. It's been 3 days since I've arrived home and AA has no idea where is my second bag. What now?