"Cheapest Award Travel" for DC to LA?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Sep 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've screwed up before in probably not getting the best award booking deal I could when I've booked award travel before, so I was hoping to get advice this time.

I have 77,000 points in Chase UR, 50k in US Airways, 25k in Delta, 50k IHG, 7,000 Barclay, and 30k in AA (Are USA and AA pooling their miles in showing your balance? I thought I only had 25k USA miles).

I've started going through each to find the best travel option during the overly expensive Christmas (dec 19ish to dec 27thish - dates are sorta flexible).

So far the lowest I found was 41k southwest points with 1 plane change on the way there. And a similar trip on Frontier (but Southwest beats it for the free bags). But I'm going to keep researching! Hoping to grab some tips from you all as well.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Insofar as I am aware, according to their guidance, you cannot combine AA/US award miles. Let's hope that award miles consolidation will (finally) happen next year.

FWIW, a quick lookup of costs to advance purchase r/t tx from either IAD or DCA to LAX is about $360 on WN. The same flights are about 21,000 WN points.

Safe travels!

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has 12,500 o/w awards on December 17 & 20 for IAD-LAX non-stop. On the 29th you can do LAX-IAD on the redeye or LAX-DEN-IAD during the day, also for 12,500.

That's going to be a MUCH better deal IMO than transferring UR -> WN RR, even if you pay $50 for a checked bag.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  4. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Wandering Aramean Did you mean UA or AA? OR US Air? I saw 12.5k on AA . The return trip you talk of though seems to no longer exist. I saw 12.5 at one point..but not any more, on AA.

I found the AA flight on the 17th, 12.5 for 8 hour flight, one stop. Not bad. Although I was thinking of just getting a nonstop first class 25k ticket on the 18th (one way) from AA, and worrying about my return trip later (or booking over phone one way return through UA or US Air). The 12.5k extra for first class + ideal flight time and 5 hr instead of 8 is worth it to me (at the moment!)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  5. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok. seeing all of this on UA now. Great. Definitely could transfer points in there and find a great deal. Thanks!

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a fair bet that if Seth said UA, he meant UA. In fact, even if he had said AA he probably would have meant UA! ( :) Hi Seth! )

For what it's worth, I can easily find the outbound direct flights as well: UA1567 departs 3:55, flight time 5:52 on the 17th and UA894 departs 6:42pm on the 20th. If I can find them, anyone can.

Your Chase UR points transfer instantly at 1:1. I wouldn't wait as lack-of-availability seems to be spreading out from the 18th in either direction. . .

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. I just booked everything!

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p

I actually have a few AA segments under my belt this year and several more on the books, including one tomorrow.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  9. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It just doesn't pay to be loyal to one airline anymore (at least if you are paying on your own dime).

Congratulations on your booking nonstopski!