Cheapest Award Redemption to Europe - AA or UA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by slotownmomma, Apr 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. slotownmomma
    Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering what your experience has been on which airline has the cheaper award redemption ticket fees to Europe, American Airlines or United Airlines? What is the cheapest destination as far as fees in your experience? Love any feedback. I have miles in both and trying to decide if there is a cheaper entry point into Europe for our families trip. I am planning a trip to London, Scotland & Wales from SFO or LAX. I have looked at London from both and the fees are cheaper with UA by about $100 dollars. AA was $273. UA was $171 for economy, 55,000 miles. I few SFO-FRA last year and the fees were only $60. I'm wonder if there is another destination closer with lower fees. Any thoughts?
    I'll keep researching and I will post for others reference too.

2. slotownmomma
    Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fees have gone up from last year with UA....at least on SFO-FRA. Was $60 now $141. What a bummer! Is this probably the cheapest I'll find since it is a major hub in Europe or is there is cheaper hub?
    AA is $143 so the fees are the same there. The flights is not as good. UA has a direct flight from SFO and AA has to connect through DFW. But AA is only 40,000 MileSaver and UA is 55,000 MileSaver. Wow!

3. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AA milesaver rate is only from Oct 15-May 15 then it goes back up. Doesn't work for summer travel.