Cheaper WITHOUT the discount?!? continental.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Jul 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband had a 10% of coupon from Continental that he got earlier this year for being on a delayed flight. We normally book through United, but decided because he had the cert to book through Continental.

When we entered the code we got a fare of $1250.30 ai SMF-DEL. It then says right below that
    "Without the Customer Care Discount Certificate discount, this trip is currently available in Economy Class for a total of $1,221.30 for all passengers."

I don't get it. Why is it cheaper without the 10% off code. Is there anywhere to get CO to honor this without having to pay for someone to ticket over the phone?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What fare class is the coupon booking in to? What are the permissible buckets it can book in to? What is the cheaper fare booking in to?

My guess is that there is sufficient fine print on the coupon that they're covered. Or you can call web support and try to have them do it.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea how to find the fare class. This is only my first time using CO's website. Here's the printscreen (sorry it is small). The only thing I could think of that could cause a problem would be the use of United metal EWR-SFO-SMF however it says next to all the flights that the promotion was applied.
    co.jpg
    If you can tell me where/ how I can get the fare class information I can maybe better answer your questions- other than that I can find the $1221.30 on ITA and it shows as L class. The fine print on the back of the coupon says "Receive 10% off any published fare"

Maybe this is worth a phone call to them.

4. foady

foady Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you do the same search without using the 10% off certificate, what is the fare (before taxes and fees)? I would recommend comparing that to the fare with the cert.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fare class is listed in the right column of the data displayed on that page. Everything is booking into L except the DEL-EWR flight that is booking into T. Looking at ITA I can see an all-L itinerary with the SFO stop. On co.com I'm seeing that routing price as S so a bit more expensive. A routing via DEN still has L available all the way through.

You can try the web support line - that's your best chance to not pay a fee - but at this point it is not particularly clear why ITA shows the L fare and CO shows it as an S fare. There are times when ITA is slightly out of date with inventory so maybe that's it but maybe not.

hulagrrl210 likes this.