Cheaper Fares on Vayama?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sunny_sc, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    Why does Vayama (or other sites) sometimes have cheaper fares than others? For instance, I am looking at SEA -> YVR -> NRT (return) and for the same itinerary, Vayama.com has it for $1097, while AirCanada has the itinerary for $1490 and Travelocity has it for $1329. All prices include taxes.

Is this because Vayama is a travel agent who gets volume discounts? Or is this because these are different fare classes? On Vayama, it is quoted as LX503, Air Canada has the outbound trips as "Tango Plus S" and inbound as "Tango Plus W" and Travelocity says its SKXUJ. Is there any way to find out how to interpret these different codes?

Thanks in advance!

misman likes this.
  2. SFOCanuck
    Original Member

SFOCanuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know how Vayama's business model works, but I do know that the letters S and W (and L?) are the Air Canada fare classes (SKXUJ is a S-class fare). There's a hierarchy of fare classes. Y and B are the highest economy fares (usually called Latitude by Air Canada), and generally have the most availability. S is pretty low in the pecking order, so there's less S-class availability, but the fare is cheaper. (L is even lower/cheaper than S.) Both S and L are Tango Plus. K, N, G, P, E, and T are the Tango Fares -- be careful, on some routes these don't earn miles.

I don't know about LX503 -- If I had to guess I'd say it was a Swiss Airlines flight number, but I don't know why that would show up in your fare details! :D

sunny_sc, misman and Tenmoc like this.
  3. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    misman likes this.
  4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might I suggest that you post your question in the Air Canada forum? This may help you get the answers re: fare classes. They also may understand Vayama, and their relationship with AC.

Oh, and welcome aboard to both of you. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

PAinNY and sunny_sc like this.
  5. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the reason why Vayama has cheaper flight, but if I may advise - PLEASE do not book through them.

My company booked me a business trip through Vayama to save some money and it turns out to be a complete chaos. Their customer service is 10 times worse than BMI, they charge you fees to make changes to your tickets even though they are not paying that fee to the airline (right - they just pocket those money themselves like admin. fee), and they don't have records of what happened.

I called so many times for them to update me on the status of the changes and upgrades. no news.
    I had fortunately have records of what happened but you are talking to a bunch of people to handle one thing.

They might save you some money, but for the fees and troubles that might cause afterward - it might not worth the money :(

PAinNY likes this.