Cheap swipes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by LAM, Apr 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any ideas for cheap swipes of a credit card? I just received the American Express Everyday Preferred and I need to swipe it 30 times a month to get the bonus. With uncatagorized spend, grocery store, gas station when not a Freedom bonus month, and two bills I am at around 20-25 swipes. I usually buy 2-3 Kindle books a month so that leaves me with 5-7 swipes short. I could use the card for lunch but I would miss the restaurant bonuses I normally receive from Freedom and CSP and I am saving up for United Miles I need. Any suggestions for cheap swipes? I don't want to add daily Starbucks etc. into my life. No vending machines around me that take cards. Someone suggested small amount electronic Amazon gift cards but I don't want to build up a big Amazon gift card balance. I don't tend to buy a lot from there except at xmas and kindle books.

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shop at any store that has self service check out and split your purchases into multiple transactions.

wrxmom, NYBanker, TUMD and 4 others like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And try not to piss off other customers who might be behind you in line. :oops:

4. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make small Amazon payments. You get up to $1000 a month and you can break them down into smaller payments.

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's why I suggest using the self checkout lines. In the places where I shop they are no self-checkout lines 95% of the time.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Put a gallon in your tank at the gas station. Close the transaction, then put in another gallon in, or drive to the next gas station and put in another gallon.

Kinkos has credit card only copy machines. I once ran a 2 cent charge on my amex that way.

:)

pointshogger and kellio like this.
  7. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Multiple gas station charges like that are a quick way to get a fraud freeze on your card.

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are a few places like that near me where there is often a line in the self-checkout area (shorter than the normal line). I could imagine many other customers getting pretty mad at me if I made 10 transactions where one would do.

gconnery and miles and smiles like this.
  9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess you'll have to shop in the middle of the night :D

gconnery and Wandering Aramean like this.
  10. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I am frequently in a store where I could get away with 2 or so transactions in the self-serve checkout. I don't think I could get away with 10 :D. If am am desperate one month I might try paying for gas twice. I also may just start buying gas on a regular basis such as every Saturday rather than when I need it so that would add one or two also. I would so do the .2 cent copy if I had a kinkos really near me.

gconnery likes this.
  11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try not to run multiple charges during the first week of your account. After you spending pattern is established, you can usually use your card however you like without being bothered by the fraud dept.

12. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you take public transport add money to your card very slowly. Add $0.10 at a time.

gconnery likes this.
  13. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea for the future. Right now I am forced to drive. My office moved from downtown DC to out near IAD. I hate driving 60 miles a day. Lot of gas charges though.

14. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Found out my first billing period will only be about 12 days so I am not trying to hit the 30 swipes for April. So what I am charging right now will be fine.

15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand that. I have much happier now that I am bike/bus commuting rather than driving the past year

16. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't fill up so much gas in one shot. You can fill up once a day or once every second day. Self-check out is a great option too. If you shop around for prices on cheaper groceries, you can end up going to 2-3 stores for a grocery run to buy the cheapest products. Though this is probably a hassle if you do it every single month.

The first few months might be a little more work, but once you break down your regular charges, I'm sure you can create a system that will be to your advantage. You just need a bigger sample size of all your spending habits to figure out a system.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Spending how much extra time, fuel and other expenses??

gconnery and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  18. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly, it depends how much each individual person values their time.

In terms of fuel, let's say you drive to work every day. If you fill up $10 a day at the gas station for a few days in a row or ever second day, then you will have more transactions. Let's see you watch the flyers and you know which store has which sale, then you make a grocery run for that specific store for specific items. Then make another run to another story for other items that are on sale. Instead of purchasing everything you need at the same store, regardless of the price.

gconnery likes this.
  19. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy Amazon egift cards. I think you can buy them for as little as $0.15 each. Course you'll have to click on each one and add the balance to your Amazon account, but not the end of the world.

Muerl likes this.