Cheap Eats in Singapore

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Singapore Flyer, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ill be there for ThanksGiving!

Thanks!

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Tiong Bahru is my favorite, non-touristy food center. It is a bit more challenging to get to though. Definitely try to get to Sunghei for the Laksa. It is very out of the way though...Chef Ignatious Chan (Iggy's at Hilton) talked about it in a Time Article. Had it my last time there and it was beyond sublime IMHO. Need to go back and get it. If you don't like cockles...then, you can pass.

iolaire likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are lots of small eateries and some 24 hour food courts that are truly amazing. makansutra is an amazing magazine devoted to food.

At the edges of Little India you will find a couple of 24 hour food courts, and Ofcourse, very early morning near Mustafa superstore, you will discover south indian eateries that open very early catering to the workers getting ready to go to work.

If you are near Orchard, Walk up Scotts Rd to another open air food court, very inexpensive.

I'd just go to SIN to sample the culinary diversity in the various food courts and speciality neighborhoods.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to do just that, but I'm sure missing those <$600 all in w/no min stay ORD-SIN fares on UA. As a result no SIN for awhile.
    I very much liked the Mankansutra guides: www.makansutra.com

-

violist, Singapore Flyer and anileze like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not mind the return of sub-1000 fares from NYC on DL myself ;) BKK and HKG come close second in terms of culinary diversity and range in term of value for money.

Singapore Flyer and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although the ingredients in Cantonese cuisine seem to be limitless, Hong Kong is hardly the best place to go for culinary diversity (in the macro sense).

Singapore Flyer and anileze like this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    i've met KF Seetoh a few times. He is a very cool and friendly guy.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Sweet Willie and anileze like this.
  9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    CHK, Singapore Flyer and anileze like this.
  10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, i hope you are not referring to Newton Circus food court near Scotts Road ? It's located next to a road and a round about

CHK, Singapore Flyer and anileze like this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The key to eating outside the standard fare, is to venture out into the residential neighborhoods.

12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, locals like us use hungrygowhere as a reference guide and rating system for food as well ;) and while we have our fair share of expensive cuisine such as Din Tai Fung, for inexpensive eats, outdoor hawker centres and indoor food courts are hard to beat, u can get a meal for under 5 Singapore dollars, and the variety is tremendous.

we do have different famous hawker food at different areas that are famous, eg laksa at East Coast Road, steamed buns from Tiong Bahru market etc, Indian food at Race Course road....

CHK and anileze like this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a simple map of the various hawker centers?

It’s fine to read about specific destinations, but would be helpful to have a visual of if you are near X then these hawker centers are within walking distance.

Here is one but it only has 10: http://goo.gl/maps/VoxD0

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Status Points:
    Or, visit Shenzhen?

anileze likes this.
  19. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    That's my favorite tourist trap hawker center. I am not joking...it really is. ever since i first went there...it just reminds me of that first time visiting Singapore meeting my future in-laws. All of the vendors pushing hard...it was the first time i saw Singapore had a darker side...so naive at the time. :p

20. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    But it is still one of the better(best) places to get Cantonese cuisine and dim sum...I used to think NYC had it, but not anymore.

21. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Status Points:
    I thought the focus of anileze's post was on food from around the world, not just Cantonese. Absolutely it's a great city for Cantonese food (not my cup of tea, but clearly it sates many others), but for a broader range of cuisines, not so much.

Anyway, have to get back to talking about Singapore! My go-to is the Mustafa Centre, and the North/South Indian restaurants nearby.

22. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I finally went to Mustafa for the first time my last trip back i May. I have been to Singapore about 8-9 times now...to say it was overwhelming is putting it mildly. I will try to hit those restaurants on my next trip back in Feb...

Tad's Broiled Steaks likes this.
  23. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    sorry to us locals, that's known as a tourist trap actually, food is generally overpriced, and from what i've read from reviews, you gotta be careful when ordering seafood, as the price may not be clear at the point of ordering, read that one tourist agreed to pay tiger prawns and the cost was exorbitant come billing time..so caveat emptor

to locals, worth a visit to recommend for the atmosphere to say you visited Newton Circus, but otherwise, we've got far tastier hawker food and far lower price elsewhere :p

CHK likes this.
  24. entwisted21

entwisted21 Active Member

Status Points:
    I love Indian food, 2nd to my own national food.

One place i frequent is Sams Curry at Dempsey. Nice ambiance especially at night u can also go walk around the place and get some desert at ben&jerrys or some other place.

another suggestion is LONG HOUSE on Upper Thomson Road. One stall is specialized in Duck dishes (u cant miss the stall).... THEY ARE THE BEST, hands down.
    It is so tasty and the chili sauce is home made, and it s a match made in heaven.

25. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I was stuck at the Long House when my wife and SIL had to go look at flowers for a wedding...it wouldn't have been bad, but it was a combination of running out of money to try anything because we just ate lunch. :p

entwisted21 likes this.