Cheap and Easy Way to Keep Expiring Miles Active

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by cwpfly, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a former 8 or 9 year CP with Airways and still have a bit of a mileage stash with them for Star awards. Anyway, it has been about 15 months since my last transaction and I just got this email from US:

Stay active and keep your miles!

It's been a while since you've earned or used miles. For a limited time, you can reactivate your account for only $9 and keep it active for another 18 months.

Reactivate your account now. Just log in to your account and pay $9 by 4-29-2012.

The strange thing to me is how cheap the fee is relative to the reinstatement fee of $400 on the amount of miles that would have expired. It also seems that this is a fee that has gone DOWN over time. According to a thread on FT three years ago, the miles preservation fee was $40. Heck, for $9 it may be worth it!

Um, no - I am sure that it can be done cheaper, but it may be handy for someone. :) However, thanks for the heads-up, US!

Since I could not find it mentioned on MP, I wanted to post it since this is not a special offer for a particular DM member. For reference, it is presently listed on the Booking Information and Fees Page.

bucketlist likes this.
  2. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting. From the wording of your email, it seems the miles have already expired and that the $9 is for reinstatement - would jump on that.

For future, there's myriad ways to have some low cost activity - a tool bar (which I removed as it was clunky) or get a magazine subscription. Simplest way (for me) is dm dining - pick a restaurant that you're happy to go to, then register a card (actually, I use the same restaurant w/ different cards for AA miles and for DM miles). These activities will keep an account alive, but won't reactivate it.

cwpfly likes this.
  3. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The toolbar mentioned above is no longer available.

The available ways to quickly get miles are.
    • US Airways credit or debit card usage
    • RewardsNetwork dining on any credit card at participating restaurants
    • Dividend Miles shopping portal for online shopping
    • e-miles or e-rewards for survey completion
    • Audience Rewards -- just answer a couple broadway questions
    The easiest ones are Audience Rewards and the shopping portal. Anyone can do it and it doesn't require you to leave your home to find a specific restaurant for dining rewards.
    I agree it sounds like it's already expired. Maybe call in to make sure? If so, the $9 offer is pretty great.

4. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    From US's site, the $9 is for preservation, while reactivation costs a lot more and depends on # of miles:

Mileage preservation fee $9
    Reactivation fee $10 - $400 depending on the number of miles

5. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the wording is poor since "reactivate" implies that the miles have already expired - it did cause my heart to skip a beat at first. However, I appreciate the concern!

6. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    All you have to do is deposit or withdraw miles and the expiration is extended another 18 months. I sometimes put my Hilton double dips into US, thus accomplishing an extension without cost...