CHC IHG properties' status

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Jenny & Curt, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought maybe we should post as we know more about the CHC properties, for those with future reservations, etc.
    I called IHG yesterday about the Holiday Inn City Centre (I have/had March 13 reservations), and they said the property was damaged -- extent yet unknown -- but that they were not taking future reservations and recommended that we cancel. I didn't, only because I wanted to test what IHG's system is for notifying guests. I did make alternate arrangements.
    I did not ask about the Crowne Plaza, but saw it on a newsclip, in which a uniformed person gestured behind her and said something to the effect of, "The Crowne Plaza will likely fall down."
    So, even if repair happens, it would appear that perhaps at least these two properties are out of commission for a long while.

This now appears on the Crowne Plaza's webpage:
    Travel Advisory for Christchurch, NZ Earthquake. Reports indicate our 3 hotels in Christchurch have suffered damage in the earthquake. All guests and staff at Holiday Inn City Centre, Holiday Inn on Avon and Crowne Plaza Christchurch have been evacuated. All 3 hotels are closed until further notice. If you have booked a hotel stay in this area, please call our Australian Toll Free number 138 388

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted this yesterday in the CHC quake thread. The Grand Chancellor is on a major lean and the building definitely will be coming down (either by itself, by an aftershock or pulled down).

---
    For those with tickets to Christchurch in the near future who don't live there, please change your plans. Here is some advice from a TA on the accommodation situation.

Many of the hotels in Christchurch are unusable. All others (and the parks and schools) are jammed full with emergency staff and those who had to evacuate their places. If you can avoid stopping in Christchurch please do so. Many (all?) airlines are allowing free rerouting/rebooking for alternate dates.

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    To put things into perspective the entire downtown city centre (about 3 square miles) is cordoned off. There are many thousands of people homeless.

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    The locals are absolutely the most important part.
    For folks with reservations way in the future, though, I thought it might be good to have (monthly?) updates on status.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure. But for a March planned visit I'd make changes to your travel.

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today's update on CHC accommodation from a TA.

7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and IHG yesterday did send an email notifying us that they would be unable to honor the reservation. Rather than canceling it, though, they said we could go online and cancel (which didn't work), or call. No problems whatsoever canceling -- I just wanted to see what the procedure would be for future reference. (For instance, in case one was on the road and didn't know of the earthquake.)

8. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That'd be in a hole, not on the road. I am really out of touch on a lot of news when I travel (like being surprised by an ice storm when I got home on Monday), but it'd be difficult to not have heard about the quake at all, IMO

Thanks for the updates, Kiwi!

9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, I guess, if one were more of a civilian rather than a Frequent Traveler, and had heard of the earthquake but, being ignorant of specific geography, hadn't been sure it affected them. I have lots of acquaintances who fall into that category. An email "yes, come ahead" or "no, don't visit" from a property would be welcome to most of them.

10. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry and not be rude, I understand your point but people really need to step up and take responsibility for themselves, esp when traveling to somewhere outside their comfort zone. This is the second largest city in NZ, if you don't know if it is near where you are going or whether you're connecting through the airport, then really, why are you leaving your home at all?

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Further update on accommodation.

12. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best Western Riccarton on Clyde posts:
    Canterbury Earthquake 22 February.- We came through with no problems other than being without power for a few hours on 22nd - so you can be assured that it is Business as Usual at your favourite Motel.
    . Pressure is on Christchurch accomodation for next two weeks but check via our booking button for upt o the minute availability

13. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received the following from ICH

sobore likes this.
  14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good news!