Chat window disappears and reappears

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Gargoyle, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've used chat a few times today, and if I change pages or forums during a chat, the chat window and toolbar sometimes disappears, then a few pages later reappears. The person I'm chatting with doesn't see me disappear, so I don't exit chat; I just lose the chat window and that entire bottom toolbar.

WinXP, FireFox.

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you accidentally click the double down arrow at far bottom right (which closes the bar)?

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    nope, I just used the quick nav to go to another window and the chat window and tool bar disappear. After I flip through a couple more pages it reappears, with the chat open and active. I don't disconnect from chat, the person chatting with me doesn't even see I'm gone.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd. Sounds similar to the time I was editing a post (in the which *A lounge is best thread) and the popup disappearred for a moment and mysteriously reappeared when I clicked on edit again. Thankfully it somehow retained the edits I'd already made but hadn't saved.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I realize that is part of a larger issue. The chat window is on the he same tool bar with the translation button and the useful up arrow to shoot us to the top of the page. However, it's very strange on my system. That bar will be there on one page, disappear on the next page, and then reappear a few pages later. It's very inconsistent and unreliable. Firefox 3.6, WinXP

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find chat works best when you click popout. Lets you do other stuff in another window with one easy click.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    The popout is too big for my netbook. I can't see the text box to type. :(

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can resize the chat popout

9. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    You tell me it's possible, but don't tell me how?! ::rolleyes:: ;)

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry - it is the usual thing of dragging the corner to resize. Reposition by dragging an edge.

11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I see you can popout the chatroom, but I'd like to popout the entire tool bar- maybe then it would stick around, instead of appearing or disappearing when I change pages.

12. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 MP windows/tabs open. One for chat, toolbar and dealing with alerts and watched topics, and the other for normal browsing.

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 12 tabs in FF and boy is FF a memory leaker!

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is. It's why I strictly limit myself to 2 tabs/windows.

Fortunately MP is very good at remembering exactly where you were when you hit back.

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is anyone else having this problem with the chat toolbar? Most of the time it's not there for me, but if I switch pages a few times it appears. Then I switch pages again and I lose it. Very annoying.

As mentioned above, the chatroom has a popout feature, but standard chat doesn't, and the toolbar can't be detached and floated.

16. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    By disappear do you mean the box disappears, but handle remains on the bar? If so, then yes I've experienced this and clicking on the handle brings the box back.

17. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am now following you and have been getting pop-ups about you being off and on-line several times in very short amount of time. Could this be related to what you are describing?

18. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well JavaSript was never very memory friendly. I would believe that each tab runs in its own memory space, so each tab loads all the scripts again and again. Just had a look at source of the page and got
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.4/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery/jquery.xenforo.rollup.js?_v=c02a0b48"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/xenforo/xenforo.js?_v=c02a0b48"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/xenforo/discussion.js?_v=c02a0b48"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/tinymce/tiny_mce.js?_v=c02a0b48"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/xenforo/attachment_editor.js?_v=c02a0b48"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/swfupload/swfupload.min.js?_v=c02a0b48"></script>
    so I am not surprised...

19. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am susually having three tabs open and it is sort of OK. But then I am using high end laptop, with heaps of memory and heaps of processor power (latest i7). Just to be exact - W7 Enterprise x32, IE8, McAfee 8.7iP4. I am giving you my antivirus software too, because my experience (well, here it is - I am ICT manager/researcher in forensic computing) is that antivirus software has very often problems with java scripts and aplets.

20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, that entire bar disappears. I hope it's clear if you compare these two screen captures:

chat-bar.jpg

21. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apologies for the very beginner question, but is following someone the way to have friends/chat?

22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bizzare. No I haven't experienced that.

23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes. And if you follow someone you see their activity in your news feed (drop down the arrow by your name in the upper right to see your news feed).

24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It happens constantly for me. As I load a new page it will disappear, then a few pages later reappear.

25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm thinking the chat bar could be very late in the code, and it often stops loading before it gets to that line; that could be why the bar won't load.

I'll have to experiment more with forcing page refresh; a simple refresh doesn't get it to appear, only changing and loading a new page.