Chat (Individual) Feedback

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by SC Flier, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two types of chat functionality in MP.
    1. Group chat in the Chatroom (on the left side of the toolbar)
    2. Individual chat with people you follow ("Who's Online" on right side of toolbar)
    This thread is about feedback for individual chat sessions started through the "Who's Online" area.

There are some other threads for feedback about the Chatroom functionality.

Freddie Listo and kiwi like this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smilies work if you type them manually, but there is no option for selecting them from a menu like what is in the forum's Rich Text Editor for posting to threads. I only tested a few smilies. :) :( :-P

There's a little "bleep" or "splat" sound every time that a chat message comes in. I didn't realize at first why my computer was making noise until I spotted a Gargoyle at the bottom of my window. (I thought Gargoyles belonged way up high above windows?!?) There is a gear icon for "Chat Options" in the toolbar, and sound notification can be turned off there along with a few other options.

There are only two visible tools at the top of the chat box:
    Clear conversation will wipe out all messages already in the chat box. There's no undo, and chat messages here do not seem to be archived anywhere else for later review.

Show/hide time toggles that feature. The timestamp is appended to each already-existing chat message in very faint grey color. It's so faint, that I can barely see that it's even there at all. Mouse over it, and it darkens to make it legible. More odd, though, is that it only applies to existing messages. New messages that you send or receive will not include the timestamp. To see the time on new message, you'd need to toggle the feature off and then back on. This was not the behavior that I expected.

An interesting aspect is that chat appears to stay in front even if I toggle between different tabs with MP open!

It can be annoying how it stays in front, though, if you want to access something behind it. You can minimize it to the toolbar and then bring it back up later.

I was getting about a 3-second lag between the time that a "splat" sound came and the time that a visually saw a new message appear. I'm not sure if this time increased as our chat session lengthened or if it was that way from the beginning.

The chat box cannot be resized or detached from the toolbar, as far as I can tell. The window with chat history is not very big. A lengthy message would get swallowed up pretty quickly.

You can copy chat sessions in order to paste them into a document for reference or archival. But not if you "clear conversation" first, of course.

If you close a chat session window altogether and then select the user to re-open the window, the chat history is still there. I don't know if it remains available to you indefinitely even after logging out of MP and returning later on. I haven't tested that.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Where2next?
    Original Member

Where2next? Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starting a new Conversation thread, as suggested...

Like the site... Not sure if we're logging bugs here, but FYI, I just encountered one in "Conversation"...
    - Had logged in and was replying to a conversation... a pop-up box said something to the effect that function could only be done when logged in (even though i just had), and displayed the logon screen.
    - When i logged in again, it took me back to the original conversation, but had wiped-out my reply. Thought this was some type of fluke so tried to reply again but the same thing happened.
    - I closed the window and refreshed, and this time it worked. Note to self to copy my text to avoid recreating.
    - fyi, this was in FF 3.6.13

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a place for logging bugs, but I would say that "Conversation" issues should be in their own thread rather than in a thread dedicated to the Chat functionality.

In all cases, it might be worth noting the browser and OS whenever reporting bugs. In my case, I'm usually on XPsp3 and FireFox unless otherwise noted. (I also use Chrome sometimes, IE rarely, and my phone with Android 2.1.)

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm having some Chat problems. On WinXPsp3.

With my usual browser, Firefox, I can open the "Who's Online" window, and I can select a member from my list to then see that member's name as another entry on my toolbar. But I can no longer view the open window for that user. So I can't read or send any chats with users with whom I have previously chatted. However, I can open a chat window for users with whom I have never chatted.

In Chrome, it's working fine.

I've cleared my cache in Firefox and restarted the browser. No change.

After typing the above, behavior has suddenly changed. Image attached showing two "x" close buttons to close the chat window. If I click an "x" to close it, the member's name remains in my toolbar now without an "x" at all.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

BondAir007 and Gargoyle like this.
  6. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not had any issues with use of individual chat.

What I would like to possibly see is the ability for the chat to be held there for a few days, even after you close the browser. Would be good to pick up a conversation where you last left it and go from there and having easy access to what you last were discussing.

travelingmore likes this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happens in the "Who's Online" window when one gains a larger number of friends/followers? Is there a reason to see the names of friends that are Offline but with whom I've had no recent chats?

My chat window is still messed up when in Firefox. Am I alone with this problem?

8. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly off topic. I wonder if there is a max of people you can chat at the same time in chat room.

9. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    My chat window appears OK in Firefox (Windows XP, FF 3.5.6).

My only problem with chat is that it works unreliably when more than one browser window (or tab) with MilePoint is opened. In this case, when I open a chat window, it opens in all other browser windows that contain MilePoint too. But I often don't see any incoming chat messages - it seems that they are only directed to one of the browser windows, and there is no way of knowing which one.

10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    My chat window operates fine in Firefox. I'm just not sure of the utility in seeing people who aren't online.

SC Flier likes this.
  11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get a scroll bar. I have quite a few followers and the list is still manageable. Perhaps when the number reaches several hundred or more it will be a problem.