"Chat-downs" experiment discussed in "USAToday" today

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by kansaskeith, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...ity-Chat-downs-on-top-of-pat-downs/50757204/1

Been done elsewhere in the world for years, of course, and I for one think this is good. However. I have a gnawing feeling about TSA civil servants blindly plowing through the stock list of questions rather than a true thoughtful brief interview which might actually catch something. Don't know the TSA folks would bureaucratically do that, of course, but the thought does gnaw at me.

2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    See SPOT run
    See SPOT run
    They haven't caught a ter'wrist
    They haven't caught a ter'wrist
    Oh, see spot run
    ===

TSDO/BDO: Where are you going?
    Me? On a plane :rolleyes:

TSO/BDO: Where are you going?
    Me: Home
    TSO/BDO: Where's that?
    Me: It's been a long day, may I see my boarding pass you're holding in your hand so I can tell you? :rolleyes:

TSO/BDO: How long have you been in XXX?
    Me: About an hour (and then I wait for the confused look on the TSO's face ;))

etc., etc., etc........

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TSA is still yet to master what is supposed to be their core competency of finding prohibited items.

These programs do little, in my opinion, to "enhance" security. There are have been articles about how long and detailed it takes to empower someone to truly be able to notice someone with nefarious intentions. The TSA training is the equivalent of going through a fast-food restaurant's drive-thru.

Coupled with the TSA's track record, this honestly feels like more bureaucracy at its finest trying to justify its own existence in light of lawmakers starting to see the light and questioning the TSA as a whole.

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not reverse the roll? As soon as you walk up start chatting them up, and leading the conversation. Like "good morning" how is everything going with you today, do you enjoy your job, how long have you been with TSA, do you enjoy living in this area, I bet this is a great airport to work at, etc?" Wonder what their reaction would be?

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    TSO: Where are you going today?
    Me: Home
    TSO: Where is that?
    Me: Where I live

TSO: Where are you going today?
    Me: It's been a long day, may I see my boarding pass which you are holding in your hand

TSO: How long have you been in XX ?
    Me: About an hour (wait and see if they know what a milage run is ;))

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    40 seconds per passenger. It certainly adds up.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Adds up a lot of government waste, really.

paladin87 likes this.
  8. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    TSO: [poses stock idiotic question of the hour]
    Me: "I appreciate what you are doing and I thank you for your service, but I only answer questions posed by the uniformed underclasses which are relevant to the immediate purpose of the questioning, as made apparent to me.
    In this case, I will answer questions concerning the validity of the boarding pass and/or identification material that I just handed you and nothing more. If you are very nice, I may also answer questions pertaining to the type of paper and print settings I used to print my boarding pass, as I see you gently caressing its firm yet satin surface and marvelling at the aesthetic beauty of the ivory-mid-manilla, perfectly guillotined 4 7/8" x 2 3/4" boarding pass"
    TSO: [Shouts] "Male Assist"

paladin87 likes this.
  9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was asked where I was going at ORD a couple months ago. Didn't go well.

TDC asked where I was going, I pushed back. Apparently, mobile BP doesn't show the destination, as I had told him to just look at his little screen. Eventually, a 3-striper came up to see what the hold-up was, since I never did answer the question. Her explanation was that they "sometimes like to engage passengers in conversation." I finally got away without answering the question, but it did hold me up for several minutes. What a pain.

10. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Chat" downs indeed...how clever of them. :rolleyes:

Do you have reasonable articulable suspicion for that, just like the "pat" down? :D

11. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems effective...