Chase VISA Dilemma: Priority Club 80k or BA 100k (or both)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ckwill, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ckwill
    Original Member

ckwill Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I've been sitting on a targeted offer for the Priority Club VISA from Chase (expiring 4/25) because I'd heard rumors about a big offer to come, which, of course turns out to be the revival of the BA 100k VISA from Chase. I've never had any kind of relationship with Chase, but it sounds like it may not be possible to obtain approval for both of these cards because of Chase's restrictions on application frequency. If that's true (and maybe someone can correct me if it's not), then I'm struggling with which card I should apply for. Here are the differing specs:

Priority Club VISA:
    - 80,000 bonus points on first purchase
    - 5 points per $1 PC hotels, $2 points per $1 on gas/groceries/dining, 1 point $1 on everything else
    - 10% rebate on reward redemptions
    - Gold Elite PC status
    - $49 annual fee (waived first year)

British Airways VISA:
    - 100,000 BA miles after $2,500 spend (within 3 months)
    - 2.5 miles per $1 on BA purchases, 1.25 miles per $1 on everything else
    - Free companion fare after $30,000 spend
    - $95 annual fee (not waived first year?)

I don't have any near-term plans to fly to Europe since I just lived there for two years (which is also why I didn't get in on the initial BA 100k offer), but I would like to travel to Africa, South America, Asia in the next couple years. However, living in ATL appears to limit my ability to use the single OW partner award chart other than flying AA. Therefore, I'm thinking the Priority Club VISA provides me with a greater value since I should be able to easily use the PC points on hotel stays and the little bit of status would be nice.

Anyone else have other thoughts? Am I missing something about the value of the BA miles? If I can, I'd love to get in on both offers, but from what I've read it sounds like that may not be an option. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Stealth Traveler
    Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been sitting on the 80k PC Chase Visa card as well--I just signed my wife up today for the BA 100k mile Visa (I got in on the last one), but I'm sympathetic to your decision. I've been thinking of the US MC, the CO Visa and/or UA Visa when it was at 50k, but can't bring myself to open 2-5 new accounts in a 4-6 month period.

The BA reward to South America (from NA) is actually a pretty good deal (can use LAN if needed) and so is the North America to Far East for 100k in C using a partner (CX for instance). The ability to use the awards is there, but the 80k PC points on the other hand can go a long way, especially if you land some decent 5k point/night rooms when they run the promo. I've been looking at going to BOB or DPS for the fall, and the PC points would pretty much sure up 7-10 days of free hotels added to our current balances. So......tough call, but if you really value one more than the other, apply for that one first, then wait a day or two and apply for the other and hopefully get one approved and possibly both.

3. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I would value Priority Club points @0.6 cents/each. I would value BA points somewhere between 1-2 cents. With BA, one has to add fuel surcharges. If one is a coach flyer, it may not be worth it. If someone uses it for a Biz class ticket, (say One partner to South Asia--say LAX-Hong Kong on CX Biz, it could be worth it). In that event, I would value a BA miles @2 cents or more.

I recently got in on the 80K Priority Club visa as I plan to use it for the 5K specials, etc.

Bottom line: If one likes to fly Biz class, go for the BA card. The BA card could work for 4 AA domestics, which can be worth well over 1K. Depends on use of card. You could try to apply for both. Apply for the one your want first & then do the other application. If Chase turns you down, call the # on the reject letter. I did on my wife's behalf and she ended up closing her older inactive UA card (we converted to no annual fee after a year).

Too bad my wife & I are tapped out on Chase. She just got the 50K CO card & Hyatt cards from Chase this past month. 100K BA would have been nice. She may apply near the end of the promo period (assuming it is still around) and we'll see what happens.

jumpdogjump likes this.
  4. jumpdogjump
    Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Status Points:
    (*hears mumbling from the Milepoint churners' peanut gallery*) Care to share with the mumblers how she pulled it off?

5. ckwill
    Original Member

ckwill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there some magic to waiting a day or two? Or would it be better to apply for the one I want more first and then push the button on the other app immediately afterward (assuming I receive instant approval on the first)? Thanks for the advice!

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing to keep in mind, is that if you don't do the PC Visa for 80K, chances are you will probably be able to do the PC Visa for 60K later. If you don't do the BA Visa for 100K now, then you will probably be able to do the BA Visa for 50K later.

Last year, I got both the CO and UA cards from Chase six weeks apart. I have read of others getting two cards form Chase days or weeks apart. And other people have been denied for doing too many applications too close. YMMV.

If these will be your first Chase cards, I would advise to go for both a couple weeks apart. But definitely decide which card meets YOUR needs the best and apply for that one FIRST.

7. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    She applied for the Hyatt card, then a short time later (same day), the CO card. She got approved for the Hyatt card but later got a denial letter for the CO card. (too many Chase credit cards). We called the recon # that was in the denial letter & asked about recon. She closed her inactive UA card & they reallocated the whole UA CL to the CO card.

She put a couple small charges on the Hyatt & CO cards & we have them put away. She also got the Cap One 100K card & that is the card she is now using. We will pull the Hyatt & CO cards out on occasion.

8. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think miles and smiles' point about the best alternative is a good one. The PC card will have a nearly-as-good offer in the future in all likelihood. The BA card may again return to these levels, but until it does the drop is much steeper. Then factor in 100k BA miles being worth more than 80k PC points.

If you can do only one, the BA card seems a better deal.

Why not try both? I picked up the 50k CO card and 80k PC card from Chase, applying on the same day, a couple of weeks ago.

One last potential consideration is whether or not you have a PC Crack-the-Case challenge going on. If it pops the final clasp for you to get the bonus points there may be much higher value from the PC card.

9. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personal experience, Chase does not have a strict policy. Last year I applied for 2 Chase cards within 4 weeks of each other, I was approved for both. In 2009 (during original BA promo in November), I applied for 2 cards on the same day, I was approved for both. So I am not sure what their system is doing, it is not as strict as Citi 60 day period.

Best,

PedroNY