Chase UR points vs Amex MR points value

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by thrashsoundly, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that most people seem to "value" UR points more than MR points, mostly due to the transfer partners. My question is, if you could quantify the value of the two types of points, on average how would you relate them? For example are 1.5 MR points the equivalent of 1 UR point?

I understand that "value" is highly subjective, and it depends on how the points are used, so I thought I'd open it to see what all of you savvy travelers think. :)

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assign each a value in dollars, then compare those numbers. For example, I value UR points at about 2 cents ($0.02), maybe even a little bit more since I'm an optimistic guy and don't care to actually do the math. I value my UA miles at 2 cents, so it makes sense that UR is slightly higher to accomodate the flexibility. I like the other UR partners, too, like Hyatt and Amtrak. For 6,000 UR points (about $120 worth) I booked two RT business class tickets from SEA to YVR.

I don't have any MR points, so I can't comment, but there are a lot of reasons to think they'd be worth less. Conversion opportunities are less of a good deal considering three examples off the top of my head: (1) Avios, which charges high fuel surcharges for international trips, (2) SPG, which offers a horrible conversion ratio, (3) Delta, which is already known for its SkyPesos and rumor suggests is moving to a fare-based loyalty program from a distance-based one.

The one thing I would recommend you DO NOT do when you value your points is take the price you would have paid and divide by the number of miles. Would you normally spend $5,000 on a business class ticket to Europe. Maybe if you have a real job, but I'm a student. Even my dad, who could afford it, would not pay $5,000. Consider instead what it's worth to you. I might value the business class seat to Europe at $1,600-2,000 since my normal threshold for paying to fly in coach is $800.

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL I have a real job and I sure as heck wouldn't pay that.

Great explanation BTW.

4. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Scottrick for the info.

However, I'm still looking to quantify the average relational value of UR points to MR points. For example, if I were to trade UR points for MR points or vice versa, what is a fair trade value? I understand the subjectivity of points "value," so I'm reaching out to hopefully get multiple opinions.

5. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you can try Frequent Miler's blog when boarding area comes back up. He has a table on this site breaking down what he feels is the fair value of each point based on how cheaply you can purchase/earn (not redemption). This may help you determine your trade value

6. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it depends on the partners that each has and the transfer ratios. I value UR highly because of the ability to transfer to UA and Hyatt, two programs in which I am an elite member, and can hence get extra "mileage" out of the points (free cancellations, breakfast benefits etc). With MR, I see value in primarily transferring to BA to top off my account (and then using it for South Am. or short routes) - I already have enough DL miles and dont have enough MR to get a full trip on ANA. I have recently thought about accumulating enough MR to transfer into SQ to try one of their F products, though. The main benefit with MR I see is the transfer bonus (currently 50% to BA) that they run frequently.

Overall, for me personally, I value UR to MR at about 1:1.75 (without transfer bonuses) and 1:1.5 (with transfer bonuses)

YULtide, SC Flier and thrashsoundly like this.
  7. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Anyone else?