Chase United MP Card - Does this mean I'll be rejected?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Thank You Come Again, Apr 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Thank You Come Again

Thank You Come Again Active Member

Status Points:
    So I tried to apply for the Chase's 60K United Mileage Plus + $50 offer using this link https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPConsumer60k50AFWIC.aspx. I had to open up a mileage plus account and transfer some UR points as miles before applying to get this offer. I have excellent credit 800 and a lot of recent spend with Sapphire (over 10K). I also have Chase's BA card. However recently, I tried to call and cancel the BA card since I really don't like the Avios redemption value - they gave me a 95$ credit and requested that I not cancel it right now. So I didn't.

Once I submitted the application, I got a shock when I received the message that my application is under consideration and I will be notified in writing in 2 weeks of the decision. I've never been rejected ever by a credit card application.I do have a lot of balance on 3 cards at the moment so not sure if that played a part.

Wanted to get opinion of folks here - does this mean I will definitely be rejected or is this really about a credit review etc.?

alohastephen likes this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You haven't been rejected. Your application is under consideration and you will be notified in writing in 2 weeks of the decision. :rolleyes:

This is fairly common. I would expect your application to be approved.

3. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're antsy, you can call the Chase reconsideration line a few days after you apply (1.888.245.0625) to see if your application has been approved.

alohastephen and ShrinkTheGlobe like this.
  4. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I recommend you call the reconsideration line. Don't wait for a letter in the mail. Sometimes it's just a formality and they just want you to confirm some of your application data.

alohastephen likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely rejected for not searching the forums :) You are most likely going to be fine, especially since you only have one other Chase card. That said, there are numerous posts about Chase and discussion on how many cards you can get and what typically happens when you apply, reading those would've alleviated your fears early on.

6. Thank You Come Again

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips. I admit I should have done a more thorough search before posting. Sorry 'bout that.

7. Thank You Come Again

Status Points:
    Called the reconsideration line as suggested. They just wanted to verify some information as many of you confirmed. :rolleyes:. Got approved.
    Thanks guys. Now let's see if I get the miles and the credit.

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congratulations. Before you apply for another Chase card make sure you cancel your BA card 2-3 months before the new application.

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  9. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not just wait to see what Chase says about the next CC app and offer to close out the card if they are unwilling to open an additional account? I used to make sure to close old accounts before applying for new ones but now I'm more likely to leave them open (assuming I'm not paying annual fees) so I can use the existing accounts as bargaining chips if necessary.

10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why? He will be at only 2 cards right now. I have 4 and survived applying for two last time just fine.