Chase United MileagePlus Select Card (no longer available)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tjtenor4, Jan 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, just curious if anyone here has any experience with this...

I still have my MileagePlus Select card from before the merger - the one with benefits including up to 5,000 EQMs earned (at 1 EQM per $1) for purchases at united.com.

Obviously, this benefit has been somewhat nuked by PQDs, but if one makes the PQD threshold (or spends enough to earn the PQD waiver), it still has some value. It's made the difference between status levels for me at least twice in the past.

My question is - and I've always wondered this - what about purchases made over the phone with United? For example, what if you have a convoluted routing that you can't get the website to price? Or, now that PQDs are relevant, what if you're trying to book a UA ticket with some (or all) partner segments on it? These situations require a phone booking, and I'd hate to lose out on the "united.com" spend that earns me EQMs...

Anyway, I know it's a bit of a niche question - I don't think a ton of people still have this card - but I am curious if anyone knows the answer! Thanks in advance...

traveltoomuch likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the official rule required a united.com purchase. I can't remember the last time I books a ticket wih a UAagnt, so I don't know if it is enforced.

3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you're willing to take some time, you could conduct the experiment and report back. Buy a (refundable) ticket over the phone and see what happens.

I'm sure the official answer was that only online purchases counted, and I think that is what actually happened. I suspect nothing has changed.

Lastly, I share your sentiments about the card. I've kept it for the better spend bonuses (3x on UA!, 2x gas/groceries/dining) and the 5k EQM. I'm reconsidering in light of recent changes.

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    My annual fee is coming due on this card, and I'm still debating what to do with it. Any thoughts here?

The main reason for keeping it: the possibility that I might want the easy PQMs in future years. Less important reason: spend bonuses (3x UA, 2x gas/grocery).

This was an easier decision when I was a 1K and the annual fee was waived. Those extra 5K EQMs made a difference in several years.

For now, though, I'm not planning to push for status - the PQD requirement is likely a deal-killer. At best, I'll be waiting until later in the year to see where I'm at on PQDs before trying to push for PQMs.

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm keeping it for the 5K PQMs and 3x miles -- are there other options for 3x other than using the Chase portal?

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have difficulty with the booking on the United.com web site, then you have two options.

1. Book a ticket on united.com as close to the original routing as possible, and then call United web support to make changes within the first 24 hours to the ticket. This should then show that the ticket was originally purchased via United's web site. If this results in a higher fare or taxes, then they will have to be paid, but web support should have access to all inventory and pricing.

2. Another option is to call United web support and have them book the itinerary for you manually. Before the UA-CO, this worked on receiving the EQM(now PQM) credit for tickets purchased at United.com. One would often see United Pune Maharas as the purchasing description on the Chase bill, and the EQMs would be awarded.

I do not have personal experience as to whether this works with merged company, so option 1 may be your best choice.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll keep it for another year even though the PQMs are of little interest this year. Not planning to exceed Gold status via MM. But in a future year, depending on travel pattern, I *might* aim for Plat. The Select card does earn me some decent miles via united.com, groceries and dining. Maybe not enough to justify the card's survival but I'll revisit next year. The UA Club card will definitely be canceled next month unless they waive the fee (fat chance).

8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Wandering Aramean had a post a while back about using hipmonk and ITA Syntax and then clicking through to UA to build the itinerary.

Also, phone ticketing would ATLEAST earn the 2x for Star Alliance Purchases right?

Like I said elsewhere, They gave me 10k miles or $100 to keep the card this year. Which meant 15k miles for my annual fee given the 5k bonus.

I use those bonuses a lot both for "Regular purchases" and MS.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points: