Chase United Cardholder - Upgrade with Economy Award Ticket

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beach1103, Dec 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question that I hope someone can clarify for me...

Booked Saver Economy Award Tickets (two separate reservations) for me and my family. I am 1k and a Chase United Cardholder. According to United.com, my Economy Award Ticket is eligible for a Complementary Upgrade (after the lowest fare of 1k passenger clear) since I am Chase United Cardholder.

Since I booked tickets on a different reservation, for my family, would the same benefit apply to them, as I used my miles for their ticket?

I called United because I didn't see "eligible for Complementary Upgrade" on either reservation...they assured me that it was in the reservation. Both reservations are XN Class.

Has anyone else been upgraded or had a reservation upgraded using an Economy Award Ticket? Just trying to manage my expectations...

Thanks in advance for any assistance....

Happy New Year!!

8MiHi likes this.
  2. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this can occur.

My mother-in-law was flying on an award ticket I purchased on my rewards.
    She inherited my status on the trip as far as luggage and priority lanes.
    She also received two upgrades.

What I was never clear about was where she falls in the upgrade priority list.
    Other posts and boards suggest that the priority will fall after all other revenue fair classes. But I'm not sure.

8MiHi and beach1103 like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In theory it can happen. It also happens to be one of the worst benefits in terms of delivery of the product as advertised. I wouldn't hold your breath and if it doesn't happen in advance no one at the airport will likely be able to help you. Also, IIRC, if the other passengers do not clear in advance they will have no chance at the airport versus the actual cardholder who, in theory, can be added to the waitlist for a battlefield upgrade.

And it is correct that the X fare class comes after N in the hierarchy within each elite level.

8MiHi and beach1103 like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have personally never appeared on the upgrade list when booking an award for myself (I have the Club card). I consider it a non-functional benefit.

The one time I booked an award for my brother in law with my miles he got CPUed.

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got upgraded LAX-SFO before check-in on an award ticket; not sure if I would have appeared on the upgrade list after check-in. I also have the United Club card. Happened yesterday.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

7. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to criticize the non-delivery of this benefit also. However, on my last two UA Y awards, I've experienced EUA on X class on eligible sectors which included IAH-ORD on the 763 and GUA-IAH on the 738. On UA.COM it did show "Eligible" at the UG window, prior to the UG being processed. If your res doesn't show this, you're hosed.

8. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the information....we are flying from round trip LAX - HNL, so I have very low expectations for both itinerary's to be upgraded. I have been upgraded on an award ticket, when traveling alone and my wife has been upgraded using my miles on an award ticket. Just not certain how it works with two people on each itinerary, both using my miles for the economy award ticket.

9. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does that mean that I would be the lowest within the 1k hierarchy and before any Premier Platinum, etc? If so, I just have to hope for not that many 1k's on this flight.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, lowest within you status tier but above other tiers.

beach1103 and 8MiHi like this.
  11. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what do you figure the odds are of me (UA Gold) clearing a CPU on an X from KOA to SFO on Jan 7th?

A Snowball's Chance in Hell?
    When Pigs Fly?
    One in a Million?
    One in a Billion?

Hopefully they won't pull out the free Mai Tai premix on the way back. Insult to injury.

beach1103 and 8MiHi like this.
  12. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're on the red eye you have an OK chance. If you're on the 225pm you can forget about it as the cabin is almost full already.

I'm going with 1 in 9,823,988,934 as your chance.

-Rob

8MiHi and ryeguy like this.
  14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you think you might have a chance - you won't. If you assume you have no chance, you could be surprised.

ryeguy likes this.