Chase Ultimate Rewards purchase category verification

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Ed Chandler, Apr 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all,

Like many, I've got the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Freedom delivering a solid one-two punch to my Ultimate Rewards balance, but I have a question that I'm sure someone can answer:

My card statements show my aggregate UR earnings for that period, but how can I tell if any given transaction was credited properly? I see nothing on my statement or online activity log that would indicate the category of a particular purchase.

Example: When I buy dinner at a restaurant with my Sapphire Preferred, how can I verify that particular transaction credited at 2x points?

Thanks in advance.

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to verify what should get 2X points.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One one to find out might be to use the card only for purchases that should give 2X points for a month (I tend to do that anyway, for the most part... SPG or HHHonors Amex for other items). If the number of points posted doesn't meet expectations (= 2X dollar spend), contact Chase customer service and ask them to figure out why. I haven't personally tried that, so I don't know how they'll respond.

Or you could just try and ask them for a given charge if it earned double points... (but if they say yes, how'd you know they weren't just making it up)

4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you click onto each item description in your activity it should tell you how its categorized. Perhaps another method would be to use Chase's "Blueprint" spending tracker which will divide up your spend into certain categories. See if everything lines up.

I had this issue with a favorite small restaurant I go to a lot thinking it was 2X but it is actually categorized as a convenience store with Visa for some reason. They gave me an adjustment that month (the CSR was very nice) but I just don't really use that card at that vendor anymore because I know it won't matter.

5. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I please ask where in your activity you are seeing this? When I click on the "+" all of my transactions say either "In-person transaction" or "Online, mail, or telephone transaction".

I actually called and asked Chase about this a few weeks ago when I noticed that my year-end summary listed all the points in the appropriate categories, so I wanted to know if I was just missing something on the monthly statements.

The rep said the only way was to add up transactions to get a guesstimate of what the points should be, and call if there were questions about an individual transaction, but this seems a little silly.

6. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go to BLUEPRINT and click on See Spending under tracking, then you can see the category of your transactions.

7. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering the exact same thing. Thanks so much for explaining that the breakdown is available through Blueprint!

8. onfo

onfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It used to show you on the iPhone app, but that went away with an update a couple months ago. Not sure why they changed it.

When I could see it, I called about a transaction at a cafe which was not counted as 'dining.' They gave me the credit, but I was told that the category is chosen automatically based on what the merchant has indicated is the proper category. Regardless, Chase customer service has demonstrated a strongly willingness to assist.

wrxmom, tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  9. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    However, Blueprint doesn't perfectly match the 2x point categories. For instance, wine and liquor stores may show as food in BluePrint, but don't earn 2x.

Global Explat, tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  10. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's painful so sometimes if I want to verify a large purchase, I will secure message Chase and they will confirm.

11. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question & thanks for the answer -- blueprint may not be perfect, but it gets me close enough.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason for these discrepancies is that Chase, like all other card issuers, use Merchant Category codes (MCC) that are entered by the merchant acquirer ( the entity that signs up the merchant) over which the issuer (ie Chase) has no control. Many acquirers are careless in entering these codes so the odd restaurant might be codes as a gasoline station, or office supply company coded as a hotel. If you keep close track of these and contact Chase when there is a mistake they'll usually change the credit for you, because they do understand this problem. Please don't blame Chase, though, because this is a problem caused by other parties over which Chase has zero control.
    BTW, the errors are most common with small companies. Big ones are usually done correctly because their merchant acquirers pay more attention to the documents. The MCC is hugely important to the merchant because it drives the discount rate they are charged for accepting cards.

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you can go to "dispute a charge" and find the exact category also. And, of course, you can cancel at that point - no need to actually dispute any charges. But on the "dispute" page, there's more info.

jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  14. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry if I seemed to be blaming Chase. I didn't think it was them in the first instance. When I called about it months ago the CSR made it clear it was the restaurant's decision to categorize themselves that way, not Chase's.

jbcarioca, tondoleo and infamousdx like this.
  15. fyfedog

fyfedog Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is awesome! I was wondering the same thing but figured it was too cumbersome to track...thanks!

16. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice. I will definitely be checking this out. Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you happen to know if a merchant can enter a different category code for a specific purchase? I do a lot of business with a commercial printer and when I signed up for my Chase Ink Bold, I was told that those charges would count for 5x bonus under the guise of office supplies.

However, they did not earn the points and Chase said it has to do with the category code the merchant has selected. I am not going to ask them to change their entire code for me just to earn more points but would certainly ask them to code it differently if they are able to do so on a transaction basis.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MCC is entered by the merchant acquirer (the company/bank that signed up your printer). The code is not changeable by the merchant directly nor can they enter variable codes. If your printer likes you, they can request their acquirer to change their code to office supplies, which would be a very reasonable request for a commercial printer, although there is an MCC for printers. You can look up the MCC codes, they are public. here is the list from Citi, for example:
    http://www.citibank.com/transactionservices/home/sa/a2/gsasmartpay2/reference/docs/h.pdf

Steelsnow and jparker like this.
  19. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. This is very helpful and will give me a good basis to discuss with my account rep.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, the MCC list for MC and Visa are available on their websites. Just to be sure you might ask Chase which MCC's they recognize as office supply for the purposes of points. You'll probably be shunted around a while to find somebody who knows (usually only a coder actually knows for certain). Send me a Conversation if you need more specific data.

jparker likes this.
  21. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    On plane right now but will PMif I need more info and will post update here on what I find out.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. thebone

thebone Member

Status Points:
    The billing statement sets out how many points were rewarded for dining. Check out how much you spent for dining and double it. That should equal the amount of bonus points. If not, call them. Also, try their purchasing malls; not everything you want is there, but for those that are, the added points are found money. I've used it twice for lawn related items and received the bonus points w/in 7-10 days w/a confirmatory email.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting- I've had some large charges categorized as "dining" in Blueprint, but didn't qualify for the 2x UR points.
    When I asked why, it seems the vendor is listed as a wine/alcohol vendor. Strange that Blueprint is explicit, yet Chase's own view of the vendor's category is something else... Still waiting to hear back via SM whether will get the 2x....

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you do this just once or multiple times?

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    From Chase secure message:
    Unfortunately the category information that you see online
    is not the Merchant Category description that is used to
    determine the eligibility in bonus rewards.

Thankfully they did provide a one-time courtesy credit of the additional points, but it seems Blueprint categories won't always reflect actual bonus categories.....