Chase Ultimate Rewards for hotel redemption—good?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by samonyc, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Chase Slate card, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a Sapphire or Sapphire Preferred. I die a little every time I give Chase more money, but this card is the oldest credit account I have—it went through five other banks before Chase assimilated it—so I'd like to keep it open. I'd prefer one of Chase's hotel partner cards, namely the Priority Club Rewards Visa, but upgrading to those is not allowed. I have no use for this card in its current incarnation except its benefit to my credit.

I was wondering what experiences MP members have had using Ultimate Rewards for hotel redemptions or bookings. Are there options other than the Chase hotel card partners? Is using points for hotel bookings a better value than the 1:1 point transfer to affiliated hotel programs?

2. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, you're probably better off keeping the useless card for its impact on your credit report, then applying seperately for one of the new cards. That way, you can get one of the nice bonuses Chase generally offers, and my understanding is that it's pretty difficult, if not impossible, to get bonus offers for an upgrade. No harm in checking though.

If you follow this approach, and you still really wanted to have the original card be the one you ultimately use, you could always apply for the new card, get the bonus, close it, and then change over the old one (since Chase is pretty good about denying repeat bonuses, you probably wouldn't be missing much, if anything, at that point).

As to the rest of your question, I just got the Sapphire Preffered, so i haven't used it yet, but the travel partners right now are Amtrak, British Air, Continental, Hyatt, IHG, and Marriott.

I'm also given the option of booking travel with my points being worth "25% more", which looks like they do bookings at 1.25 cents per point, but my guess would be that if you use them right, points in Marriott or Hyatt or IHG would still be worth more. I guess it depends on your travel patterns.

samonyc likes this.
  3. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the perspective, techboyds. I got the Chase Hyatt card in December so I'd have to wait a few more months to apply for another new Chase card. I thought the upgrade might get me around that restriction, but not getting the bonus would sure be a dealbreaker. Guess I'll keep the old card around. At least it's not costing me anything.