Chase UA/CO cards after merger?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by hashj01, Jul 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone heard any rumors yet what Chase is going to do with their UA/CO cards after the merger? Especially for those who have both cards? I called and spoke with a Chase representative the other day just to see if they'd say anything, but all he said was that I should be receiving something in the mail within the next month or two. I have both the UA and CO cards and it'd be nice if they just combined the accounts into a single account, merge the CLs, and then just have one annual fee.

techauthor likes this.
  2. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have both cards too, only signed up for the OP card for the 50K miles and it has a substantially lower cl than my MP card. I would love for both accounts to be combined onto my MP card. :) Guess we will just have to wait in the interim to see what happens.

phsu likes this.
  3. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    My OP card came with a pretty low cl because I have the MP card and the Freedom with chase as well. But they allowed me to split my cl between my MP and OP cards once my OP card arrived. I'd rather not lose that cl by closing one of the cards, but I guess we just wait and see. :) Ideally I'd like to see my cards merged into a single account and upgrade to the MP Select visa and have first checked bag fees still waived. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see if we all get to have our cake and eat it too. Haha!

4. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, Chase has a big marketing push coming, their marketing reps who work with folks that get referral commissions are telling them there's a new announcement and thus new bonuses coming on the 19th.

So presumably we'll see something on Tuesday.

The marketing reps are even sharing some details which are embargoed until then. But I wouldn't expect any huge surprises, as with most UA-CO changes first priority has been about aligning the differences in the programs. In this case, Chase has been the issuer of both the UA and CO cards. There are some benefits they're killing, like the double miles for online shopping, that's already been announced. But since they did announce killing that benefit, haven't announced killing others, and are making an announcement shortly that they're heavily promoting one would imagine that means (1) keeping benefits rather than killing them, and (2) rolling them out across the combined airline's co-branded cards.

At least that's my speculation. So, what does one airline's card offer that the other doesn't? I'd guess those will get harmonized.

And my pure speculation is that the harmonization issues get rolled out before extending new, earth-shattering benefits.

I could be wrong of course and we will know within the next couple of days, so I could be eating my words :)

hashj01, Pegasus, phsu and 2 others like this.
  6. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do people think about that new targeted 50k offer from One Pass though? It says it's good until 8/31 but is this new card going to kill that offer or will we still be able to take advantage of it after Tuesday?

7. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    If one doesnt have the UA Visa, it is better to get it today or tomorrow?

8. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was thinking. I'm wondering if the two products merge later, the "first-time cardmember" rule would be reset for either product and one would be able to get sign-up bonus again after having received one before.

phsu likes this.
  9. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I've been wondering too. What's the sign-up bonus on the current UA card?

10. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am advising my readers to cancel their Continental card before the merger, then wait until after the merger to get whatever bonus is offered for the United card.

phsu likes this.
  11. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    So with respect to my question above does that mean I should not apply for the CO 50k offer I was targeted for and wait to apply or should I apply now for the CO get the miles then cancel and re-apply?

I'm a little confused by CO/UA right now because I just got this new offer that doesn't expire until August apparently but now they are coming out with another card this week... Conundrum.

Kaanapali likes this.
  12. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am in the same boat as well.....

13. silverhalide

silverhalide Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Thinking about whether or not to apply for the CO, UA, both or neither. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

14. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could apply for current card then bump the bonus if the new card qualifies as an upgrade. If it is truly a new card with a new bonus, wait 30 days then get that one - if it is still available.

15. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the reason why my OP limit was so low is that I have a MP, Freedom and Hyatt card all with limits of 15K+. They did not make me split my limits or anything when I applied for the OP card. I was actually considering at one point (prior to applying for the OP card) to demise my Freedom card and spread it between MP and Hyatt. Until we know what happens to the OP cards next year, I am leaving things alone with Chase. Don't want anyone peeking at my accounts and deciding to make some changes on my behalf as I know has happened to a few others who have the same cards I do. My OP card is now collecting dust after receiving the 50K miles. :)