Chase/UA Card Survey - New Features You'll Like?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MJ-bos, Jul 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MJ-bos

MJ-bos Silver Member

Status Points:
    I Just received an email survey from Chase that asked me about a potential new United credit card and my opinions about some of the features.

The survey clearly states that this isn't available now, just concepts... but I think we can all get an idea of where some of the thinking is from the potential features being discussed.

Here are 14 of the features that were being surveyed. These were presented as 8 different sets of card offers - A or B (x8) with a complete set of features for each --- categories included United Rewards, United Bonus Rewards, PQM, Redemption Opportunities, Status Level Benefits, United Travel, United Lifestyle, United Protection. The annual fees ranged from 100-300 and no interest rate, foreign exchange fee or other financial terms were surveyed.

Here are some of the features that were included in that matrix survey -- not in any order ...
    1. Earn 3 miles per $1 on United purchases, 2 miles per $1 on dining & 1 mile per $1 for everything else (No maximum and miles don't expire)
    2. Convert 2 Card miles to 1 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) with a cap of 15,000 PQM per calendar year
    3. Earn 5,000 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) for every $35,000 you spend in a calendar year (cap of 10k PQM/yr)
    4. Earn 10,000 miles after you spend $25,000 on your card, 1x per calendar year
    5. As a Premier member you’ll receive confirmation for your companion upgrade at the same time you are confirmed for a first class upgrade
    6. Free Checked Bag: 1 standard bag for up to 2 people.
    7. Priority Boarding: Group 4 boarding (after Premiers, before general boarding)
    8. United Club Passes: Receive 2 United Club Passes every year
    9. Complimentary access to Wi-Fi on United enabled aircraft
    10. 50% off 2 Standard Awards (e.g. 25,000 miles versus 50,000 miles) 1x per year
    11. 20% off Standard Award redemption (e.g. 40,000 miles versus 50,000 miles) up to 4 award tickets per year
    12. Receive priority on the first class upgrade list within your Premier status level
    13. Retain your Premier status level for the following year even if you do not earn sufficient PQM ( 1x every 3 years)
    14. Earn a 1 level-status upgrade on your Million Miler Status
    So, let's start with the premise that someone is really thinking hard about how to share elite benefits with more people -- more cardholders. Someone said it early one -- when everyone is elite, no one is elite?

#12 - priority over other elites -- I read that as if two 1Ks are up for a upgrade, the credit cardholder with this feature would trump. Nice. I though it was premier level, then fare ...

#13 - the soft landing - is a nice touch. AA does is normally and CO used to do ... now a feature of the card. On one hand, would be nice if you had a dip in travel. On the other hand, great way to inflate (keep overinflated) the ranks.

What I think would get people's undies in a twist .. #13 1-level Upgrade in MM status for cardholder .. that's great if you're a 2MM, you get 1K for life ... (hmm, didn't we have that before? Oh, right ...) but overall, it's inflationary.

There are some interesting things in there - complimentary wifi - that would be killer if they actually get it installed, but let me tell you from the having fallen in love with WiFi on AA ... it's not fast, and when a whole bunch of folks are using it, it's REALLY not fast. Not sure giving it away like free candy is a good idea.

The discounts for awards... nice touch... that may have helped me when I had to burn 100k for 2 FC seats BOS-LAX - not direct! - because there were _NO_ saver award availability 3 months out.

Here's what I ended the survery with in the free text box:

I'm already a 1K / 1MM and am a little underwhelmed by the travel benefits - I get them already (or should be getting them).

I am intrigued about the "bump" in MM status, companion upgrades (could that be done on a single PNR or do you still have to split them)?

Truthfully, I've moved most of my flying to AA and have become a Citi/AA cardholder, and it's going to take a lot of work to get me back - not a new credit card, but an airline that actually treats me with honesty, respect, runs their clean planes on time and their airports and lounges in an inviting, pleasant, and professional atmosphere.

secretsea18, okrogius, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of these features are fairly meh... some show a bit of creativity. In the past, I would have liked the 15k PQM, but as I get closer to MM status, it becomes less valuable to me. I think #14 would beenticing one. And perhaps the award discounts if they apply to any award (incl. international premium).

3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    #2 seems great especially if you are in need of some to top off for end of year. Do other programs do this?

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 2 miles per $ spent on dining looks really good to me, since that comprises a large chunk of my spending.

5. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of these are already in effect, like #6 and #8 for the UA Explorer card.

As someone a LONG way from 1MM, I would like #2 or #3 to help boost my Elite miles annually. The soft landing is also nice, but is less valuable since my travel is so erratic that it might be 2 years in a row that I miss elite.

6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a MM I would go for MM upgrade in status in a heartbeat since I have been running around 50k/year recently. With priority within status I would feel compelled to have it. It would probably work better for UA if they bumped up fare level position rather than moving to top of status. I have a Presidential plus card, but I am also a Lifetime United Club member so I don't need the UC passes. However, any card with #s 1, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 14 would be an easy buy.

7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Item 12 is ridiculous.. But without knowing how they'd actually implement said feature it's tough to comment.

That would be a huge downgrade for having elite status IMO w/o having a branded CC

UA/Chase might as well introduce the 1K Explorer Card and provide complimentary 1K status as one of the benefits..

Blah!

I personally carry the basic Explorer card, but that's probably the most $$$ I would want to spend on a annual fee.

MJ-bos likes this.
  8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the holder of 2 United branded credit cards, I support #12. So the upgrade order would be Status, Credit Card, Fare Class, Time of Booking. :D

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought we were already supposed to get #5 if the companion is on the same reservation. At least that was the theory, mere UA and CO policies. In practice I seem to always have to wait until T-24 and split the reservation.

10. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick correction: No, at 2MM you did not get 1K for life on PMUA.

11. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way I read #13 is that if you are a MM, and you are only "Gold", you become Platinum. And you qualify for Platinum (by having 75k PQMs), then you get bumped up to 1K. But only for that year. I guess by that logic you are also 1K at 2MM, but I think it would be a nice perk if your "status" requirements were lowered by 25k PQM if you had the card. Now whether you would get the 6 GPUs/4 RPUs....that's a different question.

12. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - a number of these are expected copying from DL or other cards, but a few are quite out there.

1 - is a large improvement over the current, but still not as good as sapphire generally.
    2 - seems really giving away PQM. (Ironic that they made a big deal on FEQM from Pres Plus card not being usable for 1k)
    5 - aren't companion upgrades allegedly promised to work this way already? (Granted yes, current companion upgrade scenario with reservation splitting is very very poorly done)
    9 - free wifi would be awesome (assuming decent availability and ok bandwidth)
    10 - this is where it seems they're starting to experiment. Interesting idea - just wonder this is an indication of poor saver availability plans into the future.
    12 - obvious copy from DL. Probably helpful to give you a small bump in upgrades; however, this effectively means you need to have the card if they start offering it.
    13 - Interesting... this doesn't even seem to be a soft-landing, but just a freebie status renewal at the same level. I wonder what the cost of this would be.
    14 - Even more out there in the realm of unexpected - but interesting idea.

13. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many do (e.g. DL/AA) - it's just slightly less flexible as say "10k PEQM for spending $30k on the card". While not a bad feature, this seems quite a departure from their stance of FEQM not applying towards 1K (granted of course, assuming they've actually implemented it).

14. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    New to the game and focusing on DL atm........please point me to where DL does this because I may be a little shy of my first medallion level ever.

15. MJ-bos

MJ-bos Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's right -- never had 1K for life before (which I actaully thought made more sense)... the old way was Premier Exec. for life + extra gifts ... 2M = RCC for life + 4 SWU + gift, 3M = 4 more SWU + "personalized upgrades of status"

16. MJ-bos

MJ-bos Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's on the Platinum card- have hunt for it on Amex web site - DL doesn't talk about it --

http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Platinum-Delta-Skymiles#tabTop

Earn up to 20,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) each year with your built-in Miles Boosts so you can reach Medallion® status faster than ever.
    • Earn a Miles Boost of 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) when you reach $25,000 in eligible purchases during a calendar year 11
    • Earn an additional Miles Boost of 10,000 MQMs when you reach $50,000 in eligible purchases the same calendar year12
    Your Miles Boosts are built-in. No enrollment, no calculation required. Just Use Your Card.

17. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it might be more like Fare Class then CC -- i.e. If I have a "V" fare and you have a "V" fare and you have the CC, you get the upgrade first.

I'd be shocked if UA would allow CC to trump fare classes directly prior to all fare classes...

I too have a UA card, but I'd bet any new card with this type of feature would be a lot of $$$ for annual fee.

genemk2 likes this.
  18. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reserve card also has it - 15k for 30k spend. Higher annual fee, but more features.

19. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I suspect that if the implemented, #10 it would be the death of the premium saver award. Would also allow them to charge $$$$ for the card.

Bottom line is that I think this would hurt them more than help them. Just think of all the comments about only being able to get a premium award IF you got the credit card.

20. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

I knew this, but this is a spend req. I understood #2 as being able to at any time change 2 RDMs for 1 Q up to a max per year. No spend req. For example I am finding myself possibly 1k points short of my first ever Silver by the end of the year though I have more RDMs than MQMs. Since my goal at this point is to achieve Silver a 2:1 swap to push me above would be great! I see issues with a plan like that since many of you million milers could easily achieve status without ever sitting on a plane! I will not hit a 25k spend this year as I just got my card and, well, I don't spend that kind of money in 6 months. :)

21. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is extremely unlikely that they will allow any miles not earned with BIS to count towards MM status from a card anymore. The upset that occured at the merger that any CC miles could count towards MM set off some serious understandable criticism by Legacy UA MMers. I had used about 12k Presidential Plus EQM CC miles pre-merger to get to Platinum and those miles did count then toward MM. That got me that status about a month earlier than BIS miles would have. They have since changed that feature of my card and will not allow PQMs earned on the card to count to MM status. I have not heard of any MMs that achieved that status without many hundreds of thousands of BIS miles. If they are wealthy enough to earn MM without flying, then they're going to buy United First anyway.

22. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    It did say convert 2 Card miles into PQM - so only miles earned from using the card would be eligible, so this is in effect based on spend. Slightly more generous conversion ratio than AA/DL (and flexibility to determine how much to convert), but at the cost of loosing the converted redeemable mile(s).

23. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, still not right: 3MM was 1K for life at least in the last few years.

24. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a thought - if they go forward with a card like this then could they be contemplating an increase in the mileage requirements to make certain levels - say 30k for silver, 60k for gold, 90k for platinum and 120k for 1K, but if you have our super-duper PQM card you can achieve these for less...

25. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who has worked with models like this before, the unreported element here is the $$ annual fee for each card offer.

What these studies are trying to do is place a dollar value on each potential feature.

Chase then goes to UA and asks how much each will cost. If the value to Chase (fee plus usage)>what UA wants to be paid, you'll see a card with that feature included. If not, then not.

So the reason, for example, that PQMs are no longer part of the existing card but were tested here is that UA wanted more than Chase would pay for them. So Chase wants to know if a card with a fee sufficient to be profitable at UA's new ask for PQMs could be profitable.

No smart company ever says "no". They just raise the price a lot. If someone is willing to pay the new price, "no" becomes "yes".

8MiHi, LETTERBOY and edekba like this.