Chase To End CO Miles Debit Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by joediver, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to Lucky @ One Mile At A Time

No more miles for purchases made with Chase Continental debit card startng July 12, 2011

Well, it seems the Chase Continental OnePass debit card will no longer earn miles starting in a few months:

Congress recently enacted a new law known as the Durbin Amendment that significantly impacts debit cards. As a result of this law, Chase will be changing the Chase Continental Airlines Debit Card program.​
    After July 12, 2011, cardholders will no longer earn Continental OnePass® miles when using the Chase Continental Airlines Debit Card. All OnePass miles you earn with your debit card until July 12, 2011 will be automatically deposited directly into your Continental OnePass account.​

2. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least for now Citi still offers the AA debit card

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And BoA the Alaska and US Airways DM cards...still, I hope this isn't a sign of more to come.

bthobe likes this.
  4. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase and Bank of America are rumored to be capping debit purchases to $50 or less in the near future.

5. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gonna miss the easiest 50k miles of the year...

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad news across the board

7. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    In fact the "Electronic Payments Coalition" has set up a website as part of a PR campaign against the final rule that would implement all of the caps and restrictions...comes complete with linked news articles, form letter generator to complain to your Congressment, etc. They also have banner ads showing up on a number of web pages that are banking or finance related.
    http://www.dontmakeuspay.org/

If you read the various linked articles, the interchange processors and banks are obviously ramping up the PR in efforts to sway Congress and the Fed. Some articles indicate that Congress may be willing to reconsider certain elements of the legislation that have had unintended consequences, such as the debit card changes.

Since I just recently got the CO Debit card and would get to earn rewards for < 1 year, I'll definitely ask Chase to refund the annual fee I was charged.

8. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's too bad that Chase is eliminating this card. It has been a good one to have. I'll assume they are also eliminating the UA Mileage Plus debit card.

9. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Opened a business account with Chase in December and was charged the $65 fee. Was ok with it because it dropped 25k miles into the account. Asked Chase for a refund of the $65 fee and originally they said no. I pressed the issue and said I wanted to file a complaint with the OCC and I got the following response.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may be
    experiencing your debit card annual fee has caused you and
    look forward to ensuring that this issue is resolved.

I have assisted in having a portion of the fee reimbursed
    back to your account in the amount of $32.50. This is
    half of the $65 that was originally processed to your
    account ending in 4289.

So basically they refunded half the amount. Since I opened my account in December I was paying $65 for only 6 months of earning since they are discontinuing rewards in July. I asked them to pro-rate the amount I paid.

If anyone opened up an account at the end of the year in 2010 or in early 2011 ASK FOR A REFUND OF FEES...and press the importance of filing a complaint.

10. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think they'd make such a big fuss over it. I'll have to go in person next week and see what I can do. Anybody hear what they plan on replacing it with? Maybe their reward program that they have for the sapphire card?

11. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is not good news. I have a Chase business account with a CO debit card attached. I charge a lot of my business expenses through the debit card (as well as some on my PPlusMC) as it makes my accounting easier. Guess I'll be using my PPlus card a lot more now.

14. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really think the banks (and us frequent fliers) are going to win this one. Not everyone has credit cards (especially after the economic meltdown) and can you imagine people writing checks all the time. Most places don't even accept checks anymore.

15. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just called Chase regarding this. The rep said that the annual fee will be pro-rated and automatically refunded in July.

16. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've emailed them over the past couple of days and just got mine today. Don't let them "automatically" refund it.
    Screen shot 2011-03-12 at 4.10.06 PM.png

penumpang likes this.
  17. I must be missing something here. I assumed that once the CO/UA merger is completed, Chase will eliminate all CO cards, debit or credit. Maybe they are just doing it in stages.

18. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't get it...the banks are complaining about the lack of ability to cover costs associated with fraud, yet they have as of yet refused to move toward Chip + Pin.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  19. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I too just emailed them. I'm waiting to see what they say.

20. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One question - since CO debit card loses some benefits (no free bag on CO since April 1, no OnePass miles after July 12), may I based on this close my Checking account now (WITHOUT waiting 6 months after opening) and my miles will be safe? I opened a checking account in October 2010.

21. babyshark31
    Original Member

babyshark31 Active Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you just wait until your 6 months have passed? Since you opened the account in October, you're looking at 6 months coming up in April so you will have at most missed out on the free bag for a few days.

deant likes this.
  22. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree that you should just wait until the 6 months is up.

Also, we received a note from Chase the other day that they will give our checking account a credit of $7.50 on April 19. Might as well stay until that date to get the few dollars.

23. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My point was to ask Chase to credit back an annual fee, since CO debit card does not provide all promised benefits at present.

24. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    My letter from them said I'd get back half the annual fee which is fair since I only opened the account in December
    I doubt they'll give you the whole thing back. Pro-rating it is the fair thing to do

25. They will probably issue new United cards that are also through Chase when the programs are combined.