Chase Shappire annual fee... worth paying?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by penumpang, Feb 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, my Chase Shappire annual fee posted. I called to see if they could waive or reduce it, but the rep said no. But, she offered me 5,000 points for spending $X,XXX (can't remember exactly -- but something low) within 60 days. I decided to keep it open. After that, I called Citi about my AA card. They not only gave me a statement credit, but also gave me 750 miles per month for 12 months if I spend at least $750 (so essentially 2 miles per dollar up to $750).

Now, I'm having a second thought. Is it worth paying the Chase Shappire annual fee? What would you do?

2. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like there are always a couple Chase cards that I want (and I've had quite a few already) so I'm going to pay my annual fee to try and stay on Chase's good side.

penumpang and 2soonold like this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm so fed up with Citi's customer service and I have way too many AA miles, so, for me, yes, I'll be paying the Sapphire annual fee.

But I'm glad to hear that there's a little room there for negotiation with them.

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like every card, I'll ask for a way to waive or reduce the fee. If I can't get it, I'll still keep it. It's a great card and I want to keep a relationship with Chase.

5. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the card in October, so hopefully by the time my annual fee comes due, the card will have been around long enough for them to start offering some sort of fee credit. If not, I will probably still keep the card due to my love for Ultimate Rewards.

kenbo, penumpang and druiddation like this.
  6. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I will probably keep paying the annual fee because a) I like the card benefits b) my experience with their customer service has been good c) it increases the value of my (no-fee) Freedom card and d) the combo freedom/sapphire/ink(in the future) fits my spend pattern very well.

This doesn't mean I won't call and ask if they can do anything about the fee, though :D

flacey8, upgrade, kenbo and 2 others like this.
  7. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recommend taking a look at how you plan on using this card for the upcoming year. If you won't be able to utilize the transfer options, or won't earn enough cash back to offset some of the annual fee, you may want to consider moving on. I'll likely be keeping the card based on the same reasons as misterbwong. Good luck with your decision!

8. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have kept the Chase Sapphire card - UR redemptions could make up the difference between the annual fee and the points credited. And you recall both thresholds being fairly low per month. While I'm not a card churner, my "spend" consistently exceeds my budget as I pay many larger bills (and procure discounted gas cards) for icurhere2 SO, who reimburses her share through Amazon Payments (even more card spend).

penumpang likes this.
  9. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I recently re-upped because the earn rate -- esp in conjunction with the Freedom categories -- and flexible redemption are worth it to me.

penumpang likes this.
  10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The double credit for restaurants works pretty well for me. I don't know of another card that currently does that, save for the 2% back at restaurants on the Costco Amex. But I'd rather have 2 UR points than 2c.

penumpang likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My MileagePlus Select gives me 2 miles per $ for dining. But you can't get that card anymore, as far as I know.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53219,00.html

I am nevertheless using my Sapphire for dining as the UR points are more flexible and there is the 7% bonus. I keep the Select card for it's 3x United purchases, 5000 EQMs (for $5k united.com spend) and 5000 annual bonus RDM.

Nelumbo, penumpang and schnitzel like this.
  12. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    CitiForward gives 5 points/dollar for dining & assorted other categories (cinema, bookstore). And TYP are worth 1 cent, or even 1.33 cents if you have the Citi Premier & use points to purchase travel. 5 TYP or 2 UR points is a tougher call.

penumpang and schnitzel like this.
  13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just hate, hate, hate Citibank. But it's not a bad thought.

penumpang likes this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 5x TYP card and the Sapphire Preferred. Right now, i'm using the TYP card, mostly because those are worth a hard 5 cents for each $. Once I get the Citi Premier, I'll think about redeeming those so that I can get 33% more value. I'd have to value a UR at 3.1 cpp to match that, even with the 7% yearly bonus (which only comes in February).

When the Freedom has restaurants in its rotating categories, I use that, since I value (5.1x + 10) UR points more than 5x TYP. But that's only for $1500 total each quarter across all categories.

I know it sounds bad, but at bars where I like to keep an open tab, I use the Sapphire, not my TYP card. Something about having the numbers on the other side makes me feel more secure, plus you can't deny the cool factor of a metallic card. (Yes, I know that sounds conceited).

penumpang and upgrade like this.
  15. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. So, I'm keeping my Chase Sapphire for the second year. I don't like to pay annual fees, but I agree that the UR offers flexibility and the 7% bonus is nice. The 5,000 UR points from retention is not bad either. :)

16. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i think it's a good idea to keep the card if you have the freedom card along with a chase checking; for me, i don't have the sapphire preferred - the wife has it - but i can transfer my freedom points to her and she can top up my united account if needed; this way, i am able to use the benefits of the sapphire preferred (transferring to partners) for 2 people, but only paying 1 annual fee. i like the suggestions above - calling to see if they can waive or reduce the fee; if not, i'll just pay the fee anyway...

17. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This alone should cover half of the annual fee itself. With the added benefits of the card this one probably is a keeper. Lately I find myself with too many Chase cards that are a keeper. They finally tuned up their offers to not only get but also retain their customers (although they are probably just rotating between Chase cards anyway).