Chase Sapphire

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by impsycho, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any experience using the Chase Sapphire card? The commercials and online reviews look positive.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great card if you get the Chase Sapphire PREFERRED card. That card allows for the transfer of points to a number of partners, such as Marriott, Hyatt, BA, CO, and a few others. There is a promo out there right now for 25k bonus points

The regular Sapphire card does NOT allow the transfer of points. You only get to use the points to redeem through their program. Big difference in value, IMO.

3. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's also a 7% annual dividend on all points, even those that have been redeemed.

In my opinion, the main benefit of the Sapphire is the flexibility to transfer points to the different reward programs that rajuabju mentioned. If you are just planning to transfer the points to a single airline, I think you'd be better off just getting that airline's credit card (assuming a similar bonus offer) to get extra benefits (e.g. free checked bags, earlier boarding, etc).

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received my Chase Shappire card and I signed up for the 25K bonus points. Does the 7% dividend also apply to the enrollment bonus points?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is SPG included as a partner to transfer points to? Can anyone provide a full list of hotels you can transfer points to?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I understand of this card (from a leisure traveler standpoint).

For someone who doesn't have the time/budget to go to hotels and take advantage of promotions, it seems like having this card could make it a lot easier to earn points towards hotels over, for example, the Hyatt VISA. The opportunity to earn bonus points shopping through the Ultimate Rewards Mall can provide a pretty nice return, depending on where you shop. And since the Hyatt VISA only earns 1 point per dollar, it's on the same level as Sapphire Preferred for everyday spend.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    The full list of partners for transfer currently is Amtrak, British Air, Continental Airlines, Hyatt, Priority Club, and Marriott. Each of those is 1:1.

sveta, jbcarioca and kenbo like this.
  7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to convert a different chase card into this one and get the 25k sign up bonus? Can this be done without a new credit pull?

Also, is there a fee for transferring the Chase Points to Continental?

jbcarioca and penumpang like this.
  8. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think transferring to Sapphire will get you 25K points, but it won't hurt to ask. There is no fee to transfer and the miles post instantnly to your CO account.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the standard Chase Sapphire card. I've had it since 2001 (back then it started as a First USA Extraordinary Rewards Visa...since then it has gone through many changes of programs and ownership). I wish I had the Preferred. The differences between the two cards are dramatic. Many times an upgraded credit card doesn't add much more value over the standard grade. That's definitely not the case with Sapphire Preferred. The Preferred really does seem to have added value that almost makes paying the annual fee worth it:

7% Annual Dividend
    No foreign exchange fees
    Hotel/Airline transfer option

I've never seen Chase really offer a huge sign up bonus for the Sapphire card. I recall bonuses ranging from 15,000 to 25,000 points. Has there ever been an offering over 25,000 points?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, Chase won't give you the sign up bonus if you convert an existing card. It has to be a new application.

The regular Sapphire card requires a minimum $5K credit line. I'm not sure if it's the same or different for the Preferred card but as long as your card meets or exceeds the minimum credit line, then a credit pull should not be required. You can always double check when you make your inquiry.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in the market for a card to get more available credit and lower my utilization %, plus I need one with no foreign transaction fee. Both thepointsguy and gleff mention the Sapphire Preferred card on their blogs today, so I'm strongly leaning towards going for that one.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rumors abound that a better signup offer for this card will show up tomorrow, so if you want it I'd suggest waiting one more day, just in case.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. travelinmike33
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone else is considering this card, after a little looking, I'm pretty sure it does not report a credit limit to the bureaus, and may actually look like an installment line rather than revolving. I'm going to call Chase to verify, and report my findings.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where do these rumors abound?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the rumors turn out to be true?

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. travelinmike33
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did call, and the phone rep told me several times that they couldn't tell me what my credit line was until after I applied for the card. She eventually told me that whatever the line was is what they would report to the bureaus, but it sounded like she just said that to get me to stop asking. I did see someone in a different forum stating that you could request Chase to report your limit to the bureau.

I am probably going to skip the Sapphire card because of the true rumors found here:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/british-airways-visa-100-000-mile-signup-bonus-is-back.8054/

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    anyone recall if in the history of this Chase UR card, have they ever had transfer bonuses to any of the airlines?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  19. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, the rumors did turn out to be for the BA card. I thought it might be for this card since, Chase nearly released an 80K points offer for this one a few weeks back.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if you can transfer the points from the Sapphire card to someone else's CO OnePass account?

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, I'd apply for the Chase BA card first.

But, I saw this and I thought I'd share it here. Chase Sapphire has a slightly better-than-usual offer. In addition to the regular 25K points for signing up, this offer gives 3 points on gas, groceries and dining for 12 months, 2 points on airfare, and 1 point for other purchases. The first year fee is waived as well. This card also doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

http://www.getchasesapphire.com/preferred/25eds/

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any chance Chase would pull a move like Barclays and give automatically send out the regular card if someone doesn't qualify for the Preferred card?

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I saw the 3x points on groceries, etc, I almost signed up right away. However, the main point for me getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred was the 0% Foreign Transaction Fee. Oddly, if you look at the offer terms from this link the foreign transaction fee is listed at 3%. If you go to www.chasesapphire.com, the preferred card has 0% FTF, but only 1x points on groceries...

druiddation and jbcarioca like this.
  24. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  25. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the new offer is awesome...I already received the 25k offer a few months ago...so pissed
    emailed them for the extra 25k....only got 2500...a little pissed about this but what can you do?

jbcarioca likes this.