Chase Sapphire Reserved - Authorized user or separate account for my wife?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by NovaChild, Nov 7, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. NovaChild

NovaChild New Member

Status Points:
    I am about to dive into a very new lifestyle as I move to Brazil from USA, which will bring with it significantly more travel than I've had the last several years. In preparation, I applied for and recently received a Chase Sapphire Reserved as a starting point in flexible miles generation, plus as a first no-f/x card (I also plan to get a card from the First Tech Credit Union eventually just to have a backup MasterCard that also has full chip/pin technology.)

The 50k bonus miles will be earned pretty soon (I paid off my year's home insurance with it, heh) and I'm already well on the way to getting the $300 travel credit. I also got my Global Entry credit when I filled out that application. I'm definitely going to get my moneys' worth or more out of the card this year.

Thus far, I have not yet added my wife as an authorized user - the $75 fee is annoying. But I've been thinking about the calculus of the situation anyway, and I kind of think that I should at least try to have her apply for her own Reserved card.

Here's what we'd get out it (assuming Chase doesn't reject her):
    1) Another 50k points when we hit the spending req (we pay daycare with credit cards, so it's no problem) transferrable to my account via the UR portal to make one big sum.
    2) She'll get her own $300 travel credit and her own $100 global entry credit, which means the annual fee is actually only $50 effective for this year - less than an authorized user on my account.

Based on that, it seems like a no-brainer. But are there any downsides I'm missing? We could downgrade her account to the Freedom Unlimited at the end of the year to avoid a second $450 fee (or just close it - would closing one super-recently-opened account really hurt her credit score?) Anything I'm missing here?

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have her apply for her own cards, my wife and I maintain separate accounts,

Every 2 years, she gets a WN Companion pass, and then it is my turn,

Look for the cards that benefit your travel needs, sometimes we go United, only to return AA,

Credit scores are not a problem, as long as the account is paid in full when due.

curiousgeorge and Dublin_rfk like this.