Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. SPG Amex

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jsm1985, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't find a recent thread for this, so I decided to post.

I am trying to decide which of these to apply for. I plan on using this card as my regular card and will probably keep past year 1. Ideally, both of these cards will eventually be in my wallet. I am leaning toward the Sapphire Preferred first, but I would prefer to find a 50K offer for this card (current offer is 40K).

What does everyone else think?

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG doesn't have amazing offers in terms of # of SPG points compared to the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'd go for the SPG AMEX right now and wait for Chase to up their bonus.

Espan and perryplatypus like this.
  3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I'm only going to use my SPG Amex for deals with a significant discount for using an Amex and use my Sapphire Preferred for my daily spend going forward.

Espan and perryplatypus like this.
  4. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the SPG and the sapphire. I think it just depends what miles program you want to credit them to.

julielou2, wrxmom, jrp2 and 3 others like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG AMEX comes to use with the one year extended warranty on electronics.

Espan likes this.
  6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase SP also extends the warranty of any product purchased with the card up to one year. This card also has no forex fees.

julielou2, wrxmom and Espan like this.
  7. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have and use both of those cards regularly. If you can meet the spending requirements, I say get both. Otherwise, it comes down to who you want to use the miles with. The Sapphire Preferred offer dropped about a month ago. Who knows if/when the public offer will go back up. In recent history, the Amex SPG has gone up to 30K for a short time in the summer, but again, who knows if that will happen again this year.

Both are great cards, so you can't really go wrong. The good news with Chase is they are pretty good about matching to a higher offer within 90 days of application. Amex recently hasn't been quite as generous on that front, though you could always try.

YULtide, Menashe, julielou2 and 3 others like this.
  8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love the Sapphire Preferred. And no forex fee is important to me. Plus, I signed up when the bonus was juicy. I've kinda been waiting for SPG to have a good bonus offer.

9. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have both as well as BA visa so two air alliance and a hotel program covered. I use SPG as daily card and get gold status on spend, BA for work and UK travel (no fx chg) w/companion certificate and am trying to figure out how to incorporate new Sapphire card. depends on what your volume is and what your goals are for the spend

10. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have both. Most of my spend is overseas. I value SPG points very highly, but I find I rarely use the SPG card these days except at Starwood properties. With the high fx fees it doesn't make sense for foreign spend.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  11. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now we're using Chase SP for dining + travel costs and overseas, and SPG Amex for everything else. Can you do the minimum spends on both simultaneously? Then you could apply for both on the same day. Like others have said, Chase might bump your bonus (TM Million Mile Secrets?) if it goes up within 90 days.

12. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on which pts you value more...I have Hyatt Diamond status right now, and have trips planned to cities with beautiful Park Hyatts. I love earning UR pts! Plus, I fly United, appreciate the 2 pts/$ on dining, and UR has a good shopping portal with good bonuses, and fast posting schedule.

But if you are SPG Plat, or want to accrue miles for SQ redemptions, then this is understandable as well, but there's no shopping portal, and it's hard to rack up a lot of pts. $3.3K/month spend -> ~40K SPG, or 50K airline miles.

13. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I currently have both and find that I'm using the SPG less and less. However I will be keeping both as my primary cards for daily spend. The answer to your question depends on what you want out of the program.

Starwood: Points worth 1.5-2x a chase UR point. More partners and more flexible. Redemption value of these points is best in industry (5th night free, C+P, pure point value). Great for those that like to stay in nice hotels as this is where the most value will be had.
    UR: Points worth less vs SPG but easier to acquire. No forex fees. Fewer partners but still flexible. Sapphire quite possibly the best card for acquiring CO/UA points. Good for Hyatt as well.

IMO if you value hotels, get the SPG. SPG has more hotels than hyatt and more value on the redemption side. If you value United miles, get the UR (sapphire). Get both if you find that you want both.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  14. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's the most recent thread I know about.

I have both cards. Between the two, I'd probably go for the Sapphire. I'm using the SPG for anything where I might want Amex's dispute resolution or other purchase protection. Travel, dining, and international spending go on Sapphire unless another card has better bonuses for that specific spend (e.g. the UA Select Visa at 3x on UA and the Hyatt Visa at 3x on Hyatt).

In general, I love Amex's customer service and dispute resolution. Even if you don't get the SPG Amex, and I'd still urge getting some other Amex for those charges that you think might go awry.

Global Explat and Dangjr213 like this.
  15. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey that's my thread! :D

Do you have the freedom card, that could sway the decision?

I'd go for them both! I just got them both a few month ago and love them both, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with sapphire. My average earn rate for UR the past three months is 3.9 points per dollar. (thanks to freedom and the UR mall)

16. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and my wife has the SPG Amex. So...if you're a guy do the Chase and if you're a girl do the SPG. Does that help you?

17. DrJack

DrJack Active Member

Status Points:
    I think JulieLou just settled this argument for all time! Boys get the blue sapphire, chicks get the purple Amex. Profound.

(In all seriousness, get both)

DCtrAAveler and tondoleo like this.
  18. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP DrJack.

19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got both recently; and my usage patterns generally fall within what other people have said.

SP -> Travel/Dinning & Intl
    SPG -> Everything Else

However just this month I've started to do theInk -> AmexPP (4.21 UR + no Forex fees) for spending on everything :)