Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. Chase United (CO) Presidential Plus

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by knvinvest, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. knvinvest

knvinvest Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I noticed the customer service level for both cards are different when I call in. I had to wait about 2 minutes when calling into the Presidential Plus card and went through the electronic menu before reaching a live person.

With the Sapphire Preferred, I got directly to a live person on the initial dial in. On top of that, the CSR at Sapphire Preferred seems more willing to go the extra mile to answer my question and the Presidential Plus person was helpful, but didn't have that "fire" as the Sapphire CSR.

Am I just splitting hairs here?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Customer service is one of the intended selling points of the Sapphire Preferred card.

Currently Sapphire Preferred offers a better way to earn United miles than the United credit cards. Of course Presidential Plus offers EQMs but those can't be used towards 1K status. And it offers lounge acccess, which can be purchased separately.

The real benefit is going to come with the new United premium card that'll be similar to Presidential Plus which will offer a better mileage earning rate. Stay tuned ;)

DCA1K likes this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long do we need to stay tuned for? :)

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I believe it comes out in a few weeks and will earn 1.5 miles per dollar on all spend.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a good option for my parents who currently have the Presidential Plus Card. I know the signup bonuses tend to be small on the premium cards like we're talking about, but do you think there is any chance Chase will treat it like it's a completely new card and will give promo bonuses for "new" cardholders that already had the CO Pres. Plus card?

6. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So for those who do not currently have a United card, should the strategy be to get the current card? Then after 90 days hope the new card will be available with another bonus opportunity?

7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, the old premium card (the CO Presidential Plus card) never had any sign-up bonus miles, if that's what you're thinking of. It gave 1,000 flex EQM or each $5K in spending, and 25% bonus on CO/UA miles flown. The initial bonus was no annual fee ($395 saved) and then only a $95 discount on the hefty annual fee.

It was not a card to churn for the bonus miles. If you want the bonus miles, there's the MP Explorer currently.

8. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And thanks for the information, Gary. To Chase and UA: eh, meh. I already manage more than this on the Sapphire and through the UR mall.

9. knvinvest

knvinvest Silver Member

Status Points:
    I talked to the people at CO Presidential Plus and they said the general public will be able to apply online on 3/26/2012 to the new United MileagePlus Club card (the one you're referring to) and it will earn 1.5 miles for every dollar spent and 2 miles for United ticket purchases. It will not have the Flex EQMs like the Presidential Plus will.

LETTERBOY and harvson3 like this.
  10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically, you'd be able to do the same with this card too, so I don't see how that's a plus/minus either way.

11. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick comment- The Luxury Hotels & Resorts Collection benefit (Amex FHR copycat?) available on the Chase United MileagePlus and MileageExplorer cards is available (although apparently unadvertised) to Chase Sapphire Preferred card holders as well. Just book via the Collection's website.

12. Kanabea

Kanabea New Member

Status Points:
    The Luxury Hotels & Resorts Collection is HOGWASH !!!
    I just made reservations @ the Hyatt Regency Hill Country for $215/night (7 nights, including breakfast) and the LHR Collection is quoting me $357/night (7 nights -same days/ same room type, same breakfast & one $75 resort credit). They claim their is "negotiated" for me.
    So, I'd pay $1000 more to have a $75 resort credit by using the "special" benefit from the $395 annual Presidential Plus card?