Chase Sapphire Preferred. The Actual Metal Card. I'm Over It.

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by schnitzel, Mar 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I admit, when I first got my Chase Sapphire Preferred physical card, I was quite taken with it.

And it definitely impressed; cashiers everywhere figured I was some rich guy with this weird new card, and it often struck up a conversation that was flattering.

Then, once, I tried to use it to rent a car in Mexico. No-go. They couldn't take an imprint. Back to a traditional plastic card with raised numbers for that.

Used it some more, but the interest started to ebb. Then, instead of interest, I started to have people annoyed with me for giving them some strange card with no logo.

So now I've started to leave the card Visa-logo-side up when paying checks. Better, but some people still look at me quizzically.

Then I had a lunch delivery guy who brought a thermal cc slip to rub over my card. He didn't know what to do. He finally just wrote in the numbers, but he wasn't sure his restaurant would be OK with it. More tension.

What was cutting edge (metaphorically and literally) is now just becoming a pain. It takes extra explanation, and the initial interest in it is gone. And I'm not sure there's any real benefit to the new design.

2. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the rental car problem because they wanted to rub a carbon copy imprint with a coin. I called Chase and they sent me a 2nd card with the traditional raised numbers.

3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kinda defeats the purpose. Do you carry both?

druiddation and jbcarioca like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not had any problems, but definitely some curious comments. I do present the card with the logo and mag strip facing up, to reduce the time it takes for people to swipe it. And quite frankly, the look (and feel) of a card doesn't really make a difference to me. I used my two $20 Mastercards that I got from the holiday promo for a while to buy coffee, and they were plain blue with nothing but my name and the MC logo on it. No one treated me any different than with a card with fancy design. :)

jbcarioca, TAHKUCT and travelpye like this.
  5. BothofUs

BothofUs Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife had trouble using it in a parking garage, somehow it wouldn't fit in the machine or just wasn't accepted because it kept getting kicked back. Having the card got me thinking, it's not something you'd want to put into a shredder once it expires, is it? Need to find an effective way to destroy the card. I thought I read a blog post a while back about someone that called Chase and they sent mailers to collect the cards, but wouldn't it be dangerous to mail the valid card number back to them through USPS?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another blogger used shears to cut it up. It really is metal in there.

TheBeerHunter and jbcarioca like this.
  7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - I wouldn't want to put it into one of those machines that sucks cards in. If it's anything other than straight in-and-out, it probably wouldn't bend right.

jbcarioca and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would seem mailing it back, expired, isnt meaningfully riskier than the bank mailing you a card, no?

kenbo and jbcarioca like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got this card for the benefits, not the physical card. I am happy with the benefits.

10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. No beef at all with the benefits.

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you should ask for an embossed card and be good to go?

jbcarioca and schnitzel like this.
  12. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got mine long enough ago -- December 2010, when the signup bonus was a lousy 25K :( -- that I have the Plain Old Embossed Card.

Oh, there's an entire thread on this over at TOBB. The best parts:

13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Sagegal

Sagegal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had similar experiences with the card on a recent trip to Italy. The card was rejected in the train ticket dispensing machines and I was forced to wait in long lines to purchase tickets with the tellers or use a transaction fee Amex, this was particularly annoying since I got the card specifically for the no foreign transaction fees. Also, in Italy I was in many villages that were not normal tourist destinations and acceptance of the card was denied as it had not been seen before. Upon my return I called Chase got the same card shipped with raised numbers, 2500 UR points for my trouble and now for my upcoming trip to France the raised number sapphire cc will accompany me. I use them interchangeably depending on where I plan to be.

HiIslands, jbcarioca and schnitzel like this.
  15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. The request is already in.

NYBanker, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only they had a chip + PIN, you'd be in even better shape, but I've requested the embossed one, and that's what I'll be taking on all my trips abroad.

HiIslands and jbcarioca like this.
  17. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will replace the metal card, not supplement it, right? I'm not sure about Chase, but the other issuers I've dealt with assign a new CVV whenever I've had to replace a card for wear, etc., thus invalidating the old card.

druiddation, schnitzel and jbcarioca like this.
  18. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got my card in January and they come with raised numbers now. However you may still be out of luck at some train stations in Europe. I just got back yesterday from a trip and the card wouldn't work in Madrid, called Chase on the international number and they said they cannot issue pin numbers, so I was out of luck. On the next couple legs of the trip in Paris and Rome the card did work smoothly though at the stations.
    On a side note, there are a LOT of businesses in Europe that do not accept any form of CC, that was disappointing and led to multiple ATM withdrawals (and sadly no miles).

LETTERBOY, schnitzel and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used mine in France, Italy, Spain and Russia mostly without incident. The parking machines in France accept it (as they do all magstripe cards) but it is quite slow to process compared with an EMV card. Italian autostrada accept it, but French Autoroutes do not. In short I have had no issues related to the odd metallics and lack of embossing, just strange stares. However I really wish they'd go EMV!

20. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll see. I really don't know. But that's fine with me.

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - the Europeans are a little more sensitive to merchant processing fees. And don't even get started on trying to use Amex there. Good for them.

So your card is metal, but also has raised numbers? Can you post a pic of part of it?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  22. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a separate note, for those of you lucky enough to travel out of airports still using the old-fashioned walk-through metal detectors, does the card set them off? I have a hard time believing the metal is ferrous -- wouldn't that play hell with the magstripe? -- but then again I haven't had occasion to test it.

23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wallet always goes in my carry-on for security. So no clue.

24. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had good luck w/ my metal sapphire card so far, but after reading these comments I went ahead and called Chase to get an embossed version for my trip next week.

As a side note, I've been really impressed with Chase customer service. The CSR was very friendly and they will be expediting me a card by Mon/Tues for my travel on Wed.

Scottrick, LETTERBOY and schnitzel like this.
  25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup - service at Chase seems to be a bit of a priority. They do try to distinguish themselves on that in their advertising, certainly. Worlds apart from Citi.

LETTERBOY likes this.