Chase Sapphire Preferred Peeling off

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Muerl, Jun 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I have used my CSP ALOT, and while I was most recently traveling, the front of the card began to detach from the metal plate.

So, its getting to the point where its impeding its ability to be swiped.

If I lived in a place with a chase bank I would take it in and have it replaced, however while Chase has tons of ATMs in logan, they have no presence in Boston otherwise.

I am wondering should I clip the plastic off and move on or complain and have them send me a new one?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Mapsmith and NYCUA1K like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aha! I will provide you with the second data point since you just provided me with mine. My MileagePlus Explorer card is beginning to show exactly the same symptoms. The top thin film (looks like aluminum foil) that covers the card and has the logos and other inscriptions that are not embossed into the metal plate has begun peeling off on the opposite side of the magnetic strip. It is clearly a flaw in the manufacturing of, at least, these Chase cards. I work next door to a Chase bank so I will walk in to ask them if they are aware of this problem, as well as to request a replacement.

In your case, Muerl, if you do not care about the logos and non-embossed inscriptions, which are largely useless, anyway, you can just peel off as much of the film as is necessary to enable you to use the card, while you await a replacement...;)

Muerl and Mapsmith like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can ask for a replacement card at any time, either by phone or online. There's usually no need to return the old one or even to provide a detailed reason for replacement. Local bank branches play no role in card manufacture & delivery process, and should not be relevant. Credit (though not debit) card replacement will usually not change the expiration date or disable the old cards -- so treat them accordingly.

Muerl, Mapsmith and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this happen many times with various cards, most recently my AMEX Blue Cash. It's easy to get a replacement. Credit card companies are happy when you wear your card out from using it so much, so they are happy to send you a replacement pronto!

boondr, Muerl, MX and 2 others like this.
  5. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I peeled the front of a sapphire preferred card and I liked it even more. Underneath the blue plastic is a shiny metal that can almost double as a mirror and my name was still in the lower corner.

6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome :) I might have to do that :)
    The reason I mentioned the local branch was the Indestructible nature of the CSP. I had read somewhere they recommended taking it to a chase branch for disposal.

MX and Mapsmith like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems that the CSP being a preferred card, they would probably FEDEX a new one to you if the old one is peeling and if you are using it enough to justify it. Also, they should probably do that if the peeling is a known issue.

Call the 800 number on the back and see what they will do about getting a new card to you ASAP.

MX likes this.
  8. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    They were sending prepaid envelopes out for folks to return damaged/expired cards--something about scissors breaking :)

LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happened to me and I just replaced it and returned the old card in the prepaid envelope.

10. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:

I got around to sending them a secure message today. They sent me one next day air on UPS. Will be here tomorrow.

Quite Happy about it actually, very good service.

Mapsmith and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's really nice when the bank that offers the best products also offers the best service. That's pretty darn rare.

12. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same experience with replacement for me. Replacement envelope also had a postage-paid return envelope to return the old card for disposal.

boondr, servo and Mapsmith like this.
  13. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure the card just isn't evolving? Shedding it's skin to become something better....like a 5% rebate card...

paladinua and Mapsmith like this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite right. I called Chase from Tokyo at 2am local time on 07/10 to request a new Explorer visa card. I arrived in NYC on 07/10 evening and the new card had already been delivered...;-)

Sent from my 4G DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

15. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope--it's decent with modification, not just modification. The parent CSP would have to be spinning off offspring 5% rebate cards. I don't have a great metaphor--perhaps the parent account spinning off 5% rebate cards for all additional users on the account. Okay--I'm going to quit while I'm behind.

/nerd mode

Anyway, my CSP is beloved (like the rest of you, it gets used) and thankfully isn't shedding yet (nor showing any signs that shedding is imminent).

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's interesting -- If the front is peeling off, why not the back? That gets more use... Of course, I would think that to be a greater issue too...

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use mine constantly just like the rest of you. I'd happy give up the gimmicky cosmetics in favor of a chip/pin card that would work everywhere with no hassle, including unattended fuel stations in France.

18. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the person who designed the Sapphire Preferred (and maybe the UA Club card, too) is pitching a fit that redesigning the cards to add a chip will mess up the cool look of their "baby." Frankly, I think the lack of a chip on the UA Club card is even more appalling because Chase has been promising a chip on that card since it was first introduced over a year ago. Since then, nothing. Zip.

jbcarioca and Muerl like this.
  19. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase told me today that Sapphire Preferred would have the chip before the end of 2013.

jbcarioca, Muerl and delff128 like this.
  20. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out of curiosity who at Chase told you this?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  21. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who told you this? Was it a front-line CSR, or someone higher up the food chain?

delff128 and jbcarioca like this.
  22. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regular CSR, though a very nice and competent one who was familiar with the question, knew it had been repeatedly asked, and had a ready and believable-sounding answer.

23. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was a regular CSR, I wouldn't believe anything they said about this topic, no matter how nice or competent they are. If they know it's been repeatedly asked, of course they're going to have a ready and believable answer. People have been saying CSRs have been telling them this forever. If a CSR said this, they were probably just trying to get you off the phone.

24. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    If CSP had a chip, it would be the triple-threat. Great points earning, international star, and effective ice scraper!

LETTERBOY and delff128 like this.
  25. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget ninja star too.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.