Chase Sapphire Preferred... lesser heavy card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jumbo_cards, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife got the card when it first came out, it was a good conversation starter with people who swiped the card.

I just recently got one as well... and I'm surprised that the card is now "not" as good as before. It is still made with 2 sides and have a better feel than the average credit card. But it is definitely lighter in weight and is now bendable.

I guess it was too expensive to keep on making high quality cards? Oh well, I'm not too worried as this is not my primary card and will probably cancel after the bonus.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good info! Is it any easier to read by chance? The old color scheme was nuts.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does it also happen to be a tinsy bit thinner? You can find lots of complaints about the previous one being too thick for some card readers. I imagine that's a more important factor for them to consider than having a throwable card.

4. dw_t

dw_t Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there have been other reports that recently issues CSP cards have been thinner/lighter. It may also be due, in part, to the fact that the old cards were so difficult to destroy. In some cases, Chase was actually offering to mail people return envelopes to put cards in. I can attest to the annoyance as my number was compromised twice within four months and I really did not know what to do with the old cards.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. dschieber

dschieber Active Member

Status Points:
    How does one destroy the thick card when it expires? Anyone been successful?

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the FAQ i read somewhere; DO NOT PUT IT IN A SHREDDER. it will destroy it. You should mail it back to Chase, or bring it into a Chase Branch.

7. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like my super heavy card. =)

It contrasts well with all the other cards in my wallet. Though part of having a credit card is using it, so if they aren't working in some card readers then it is about time to lighten it. Probably the next step for a travel card is to make it easier to use in chip-pin countries...

wrxmom and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I took a grinder to my old card. Since it was aluminum there was no problem destroying the code / card.

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    i thought it was titanium, not allumium ...

10. sriracha

sriracha Silver Member

Status Points:
    any pics of the new card? never had any problem with the old one, used it stateside, Taiwan, Japan, India, France, and Italy without a hitch

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am kind of getting tired of that feature. It's not oly the thickness, but also the non-standard placement of the various elements (visa logo, mag strip, ...) that's slowing down transactions as people try to figure out what it is and in what orientation to swipe it.

MX likes this.
  12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep my Chase Sapphire Preferred at the front of my wallet, mostly because you can't see any of the credit card information since it's on the back. Since it's so thick, it kind of acts like a bookend for the rest of my cards! :D

wrxmom likes this.
  13. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    The comments about the CSP do get a bit tiresome especially when your in a busy line at Subway or elsewhere and the cashier wants to talk about how heavy the card is. It's just awkward.

14. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except the Freedom earns 5x at restos so I haven't used my CSP in a long long time

16. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or they comment that it must be so heavy because it has a lot of money on it. (Yeah, like that's the reason...)

17. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's the case, I have some blue American Express cards that I could use as dumbbells .....

wrxmom likes this.
  18. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the record I received a replacement CSP card today (mag stripe wore out) and it is identical to the the one I had before, same heavy weight and construction. Maybe just the new customer ones are going lighter.

Commence the experiments on the old card.
    *Breaks out grinder with an evil laugh.

edekba and Jimgotkp like this.
  19. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    So many merchants are amazed at my "weird" CSP card. It's heavy, the numbers are weirdly placed, it's hard to see the magnetic stripe, etc. So much that when the blue plastic started peeling off & I had to phone Chase for a replacement, I kept the old one to show them the plate of metal inside!