Chase Sapphire Preferred Changes??

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by delff128, Aug 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last Friday The Points Guy, Gary, and Ben all alluded to changes being made to the Sapphire Preferred and that they had to take down their affiliate links today by 10 am. I was just curious if anyone had heard or knew of any updates about the changes being made.

AAL likes this.
  2. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering the same thing. My hope was maybe a smaller spend requirement?. I have a few family members who'd love to get this card but have resisted due to the larger initial spend.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I read; and the trend with Chase I doubt Spend Req will be reduced... If I was a betting man that's what I would put my money on

airshadow likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does everyone keep talking about this like the card or its benefits are changing rather than the sign-up bonus for referrals changing? :confused:

5. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, I know huh. the trend across ALL card issuers seems to be bigger and bigger spends...

6. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone is (or at least not me) - just simply curious what any potentially new bonus offers (referral or public, bonus or spend) might be...

7. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm holding out hope Chase is going to introduce a chip and pin/signature version of the card :)

jwsky, mrredskin, druiddation and 3 others like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    there is an ongoing ... discussion about the over coverage of credit cards coming/going based upon the income that bloggers/authors get from getting people to sign up for cards before the last day their referral link expires; and then when the new one comes on ... etc

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    that would be nice; titanium card w/chip ... it'll be the most modern card evaaaaarrrr

delff128 likes this.
  10. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm fully aware of the tiresome discussions about all that. I don't apply under affiliate links but still like to monitor them.

edekba and ArizonaGuy like this.
  11. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    sorry, that sounded a little harsh - not intended! :)

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    When it is presented as "changes coming to the CSP" rather than affiliate links expiring for the CSP then I'd say it is. You might not be but many others are.

The card is still available and can be enrolled at https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx. Sign-up bonus is 40K with $3K/3 month spend.

druiddation and airshadow like this.
  13. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    you're right - I did a quick look around and didn't realize the extent. So, I'll rephrase to say "me".

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. tdrag

tdrag Active Member

Status Points:
    hope i would be able to get the changes(for the good), since i just got my card a week ago.

delff128 likes this.
  15. altchristopher

altchristopher Active Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly... typically when these change I don't see blog posts with updates on the changes until late afternoon or evening EST. Just from what I can remember.

16. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    It varies. Sometimes links change exactly at the stated time, and sometimes they are late. Today is a "late" day. May come any minute. May be later than that. We will all know soon I'm sure. ;)

mikesteg, LETTERBOY and edekba like this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather have a plastic card with a chip than a metal card without one.

AAL likes this.
  18. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The minimum spending is now down to $2,000 within 3 months instead of $3,000 within 3 months. No need to panic as I tried to hint...

19. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone was panicking. It was more general intrigue in hopes of something better than anything. But I have to admit, I didn't see a reduction in minimum spend coming.

mrredskin and edekba like this.
  20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    guess i would've lost money :(

mikesteg and mrredskin like this.
  21. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I "changed" my Chase Sapphire Preferred card a bit. I had always been curious if the metal in the card would be strong enough to work as a bottle opener. I lost my card and ordered a replacement only to find the original a few weeks later so I was finally able to test it. Even with the metal the card was too flexible to pop open a beer using the knuckle of my finger as a fulcrum technique. But as I was trying I chipped away little pieces of the blue plastic.

I went ahead and peeled the rest of the blue plastic off the front of the card. This didn't affect the back of the card so it should still function. After about 30 seconds of cleaning and polishing the metal on the front of the card had a mirror finish, enough that it would work as a travel mirror that fits easily in a wallet. Another neat part was my name is still on the bottom left of the card with sort of a laser-etched look.

mrredskin, Mikus33, edekba and 2 others like this.
  22. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a big change, but definitely a positive one for folks who haven't picked up a Sapphire Preferred yet. I suppose lowering that amount makes this even more attractive for the average American household that's making only around $50k*.

*source: million mile secrets' blog! :)

LETTERBOY and edekba like this.
  23. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the change means chase was not meeting it's marketing goals. If that's the case hopefully they continue to not meet their goals and maybe the bonus will go back up.

24. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is noticeable to me that it is now the same spending requirement as the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card - a card that is an Amex competitor of the CSP (though I hope they keep the points much higher than the PRG's 25K points).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fingers crossed PRG responds in kind???