Chase Sapphire Preferred: Apply now or wait

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by kyunbit, Apr 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    CSP card has been stuck at 40K bonus for a long time coming down from the initial 60K (I think the highest targeted offer was 100K). I have been waiting for quite a while for the bonus to go up. I know this is pure speculation; but am wondering if I should bite the bullet for the 40K bonus or wait for it come up to at least the 50K offer?

PS:
    1) The annual fee on my UA MP Explorer card is due and I am planning to apply for a card before that so that I can use it persuade a recon agent in case my application is denied.

SuperKirby and jwsky like this.
  2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you need the miles/points soon for a reward? If not you might wait. Do you have a Ink or Freedom to take advantage of the shopping portal and the bonus categories? I have the CP and pay the annual fee to pair it with my Freedom. I don't have any of the Ink card and do not want to apply for business cards. Personally I would not hold my breath for an increase. I am still waiting to find a 50,000 United Explorer offer in my account and I have been waiting awhile. Have you thought about the 80,000 point Priority Club card?

SuperKirby, kyunbit and jwsky like this.
  3. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friend is in same situation. Since he doesn't plan on traveling until late 2014, I told him to wait for a big CSP bonus. In the meantime, I told him to use his Freedom to build up as many points as possible. Like Lam said, you traveling anytime soon? If so apply now, if not wait it out, get a freedom/ink/regular sapphire if you don't already have one, and put all your points on those and wait for the nice CSP bonus and eventually transfer everything to whatever you're loyal to.

My 2 miles...

TravelBear likes this.
  4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    40k miles translates to $500 in travel in their program which is the current sweet spot it seems for their general marketing efforts to the public. I don't think you will see it increase unless you get a specifically targeted offer.

TravelBear likes this.