Chase Sapphire preferred annual fee

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by cotter77, Nov 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

some obs:
    1) got charged my annual fee on 11/1 despite my first use wasnt until 12/7/10

2) they said they charge the annual fee oon the first of the month before the account was opened....shafty if you ask me

3) called to avoid the fee....they didnt even consider it, only offered to downgrade to Sapphire regular nonpreferred....prob could have hung up and try again but didnt really feel like pushing it. my wife still has her preferred for a few more months....

4) regular sapphire still keeps and uses UR points

5) this maintains the credit line and minimal effect to Credit score as far as i know.

6) biggest differnce from i could figure is i lose the free foreign transaction fees.....but i think i have another CC without foreign transaction fee....maybe marriott? not sure would have to research that.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

This is why you remember when you got the card so you can call a month or two in advance and try to cancel in hope of them offering you a statement credit of the same amount as the annual fee. :)
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

I think that typically the annual fee ticker starts from the moment yr approved... not necessarily first use or first statement
    FlyingBear likes this.