Chase Sapphire or Citi Thank You?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by garyst16, Jul 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's coming up on churn time for me and have a question for the MP'ers. Any thoughts?

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    CSP will usually win over Citi, but just comes down to #of Chase apps, how you want to use pts, etc.

garyst16 likes this.
  3. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO CSP is not a churner it's a keeper. At the moment the card benefits are just too good to give up...

garyst16 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    ThankYou points are valuable for free travel that still earns miles and is elegible for elite upgrades. Other than that, the annual fee is quite expensive. A few things make the ThankYou card unique, but they are targeted toward high spenders IMO.

You can earn "Flight Points" that turn into additional ThankYou points if you use the card to book travel. Are you the kind of person who actually pays for travel, or do you just redeem points for free flights? If you book a lot of award trips, then Flight Points mean nothing, and this is basically just a fancy version of the Capital One card. Points can't be transferred to any other program, so you are stuck with a fixed redemption value of 1.33 cents per point when you buy tickets with them.

There are few category bonuses on the ThankYou card, so many alternatives like the Sapphire or most airline cards can provide better value, especially when you consider that you might be able to use those airline points for a first- or business-class international ticket. Try doing that with your ThankYou points sign-up bonus and see how far you get.

The annual fee on the ThankYou card is among the highest I've seen. $125? And what benefits do you get for that? With Chase Sapphire, I get better service when I call, I get better reporting of pending purchases, I get less spam in my mail and email, and the card looks neat, too. Citi is a pain to deal with. If I'm going to be paying over $100 each year, I want some real perks like with the AmEx Platinum card.

garyst16, iolaire, MX and 1 other person like this.
  5. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, CSP is a keeper for me as well.

nova likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole family of Ultimate Rewards cards (Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold, and Freedom) constitute a nearly complete package of "keeper" cards. I'm hoping to average close to 3 points per dollar off these cards this year.

7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses...unfortunately, I just took advantage of the 50K Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer card in May and therefore cannot do another Chase app until November at the earliest... Guess I will bite the bullet on the Citi Thank You for the 30K and kill it in 11 months...

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can still try. I cut down the time between each Chase application one month a a time until the last one was only three months later. Wait a month and try in August. What matters more is that you have a good score and are a good customer.

garyst16 likes this.
  9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you have not made any other Chase applications in the past 6-8 months, you might try and get approved. I have had success getting two Chase cards within a month or so.

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently got the Ink Bold (business card). How long would you suggest waiting to apply for the Chase Hyatt personal card? (My last personal card was at least six months ago).

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Based on my understanding, Chase does not count the Ink Bold application against a "personal" application (except in the number of hard pulls). So based on this, I would think you could apply now.

12. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    " I just took advantage of the 50K Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer card in May and therefore cannot do another Chase app until November at the earliest..."

13. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Find a Citi 60k offer. They are out there. Also, I love my Citi TY Premier, it has a smart chip for use in Europe and primary car rental insurance. The flight point makes it 2.66 points per dollar on airfare. Add in the bonus for Grocery, Gas + Drug Stores and we're talking 3 points per dollar when redeemed on airfare. Nothing to shake a stick at. It won't get you SQ F but it beats Capital One every day.

garyst16 likes this.