Chase Sapphire or AMEX Starwood?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Laurenseana, Oct 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Laurenseana

Laurenseana Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone tell me which card is better. I want to use for business. I am interested in the points/awards/miles. I would like to start using my miles to travel. I am looking for a card that has the best benefits and perks. Looking forward to your responses. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

delff128 and Espan like this.
  2. Laurenseana

Laurenseana Member

Status Points:
    P.S. I already have an AMEX Plantinum

delff128 and Espan like this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a business card, the Ink Bold and Ink Plus are top notch. Many also like the Starwood SPG Amex.

The Sapphire Prefered only comes in personal format, but it's a great card as well. The CSP and Inks all use Ultimate Reward points which are very flexible and easy to use.

4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Meant to add, the SPG has a 2.7% foreign transaction fee which rules it out for me... But folks also find SPG points very flexible and easy to use.

5. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As for business cards, I would recommend any of the Chase Ink cards (Plus or Bold; the only real difference being being the Plus is a credit card and the Bold is a charge card) that both currently have a 50,000 UR sign up bonus after $5,000 spend in 3 months or the United MileagePlus Explore Business card that, if you are lucky and log into your United MileagePlus account and click on the business card offering, has a 50,000 mile sign up bonus after $2,000 spend in 3 months. I currently have both the Ink Plus and the United MileagePlus Explore Business card, and while they do have some overlapping category spend bonuses such as 2 points per dollar at gas stations, I find they both fit well in my points and miles strategy.

Espan likes this.
  6. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, welcome to Milepoint!

Laurenseana likes this.
  7. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might help us if you told us which airlines and hotels you are planning to use, as the two cards have very different transfer partners.

8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second the above recommendations for INK Plus or Bold and AX-SPG Business cards. If you can meet the minimum spend on both, then apply to one of each at the same time. Otherwise, I would do the Ink Plus/Bold first, as it's current signup offer is more at risk.

9. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what benefits and perks you are looking for and you might also want to consider your business spending patterns before choosing a card.

If you're going to be traveling a lot, a Sapphire might be good. If you're going to be staying at *wood hotels a lot, an SPG card makes sense. If you're buying a lot from staples/office max/office depot/etc, you can't beat the ink bold and ink plus.

Another option is to get all three and use them for their respective bonused categories.

10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get all three cards.

11. tomsam

tomsam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest looking at a few things to determine which card works best for you -

Both the SPG and Chase cards mentioned above (Sapphire Preferred, Ink, Bold) allow you to earn flexible points. SPG points can be transferred to many airline partners in a 1:1.25 ratio (at 20,000 points), while Chase cards earn Ultimate Rewards points which can be transferred to many hotel and airline partners in a 1:1 ratio. Look at the list of transfer partners and see what airlines, hotels work best for your situation. For instance, United is not a good transfer partner for SPG points, but a great one for Chase UR, while transfers to American are only possible with SPG points, and not with Chase UR points.

As others have mentioned, look at the what categories of everyday spend earn bonus points with the cards you are evaluating, and compare to how you plan to use the card. The SPG card does not accrue faster than 1 point per $ spent (except at SPG properties). The Chase cards on the other hand have several categories within which you can get bonus UR points. Chase Sapphire Preferred offers 2x UR points on dining and travel, Chase Ink and Bold offer 5x UR points on purchases at office supply stores, 2x on gas, etc.
    Also mentioned earlier, foreign vs. US expense should be considered here as the 3 Chase cards under discussion do not have foreign transaction fees, whereas the SPG does.

sign-up offer. SPG and all 3 Chase cards are available with no annual fee during the first year and with bonus points certain amount of bonus points on hitting specified minimum spend within x months of opening your card. Research best available offers and understand that some of the cards may offer higher sign-up bonuses through specific links or at certain parts of the year.

Again, as others have suggested, you may not want to limit yourself to one card unless you have to for credit or other financial reasons.

Personally, I have all 4 of the cards discussed. I use the Chase Sapphire Preferred as my everyday card for International expense and US expense in bonus categories, the SPG as my go-to card for US expenses in non-bonus categories (such as groceries or charitable contributions payable through CC), and the Ink Plus/Bold for office supply store purchases. Yes, it's a bit convoluted, but most of us start off slow and then end up twisted like that :)

Laurenseana and Espan like this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is best to look at your spending habits, and then look at your goals,
    My inspiration, may not be worth your perspiration.