Chase sapphire denial.....Help!!

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jmhuth, Jul 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got a denial letter for the chase sapphire card due to too many applications/chase cards... Any tips before I call the reconsideration line? Wondering if lowering credit limits on another card or offering to cancel another card would work... Anyone w/ experience out there? We have great credit scores etc. so I'm guessing they are looking at all the cards my hubby & I opened w/ our last churn.....

2. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    I just called the reconsideration line for chase sapphire (888-245-0625). It is my 4th chase card and 3rd new one this year. They offered to lower the credit limit from one account and add it to this one. Similar response a couple of months ago when I applied for the chase BA card. I haven't had to re-call before, but according to many others on this site and others, keep trying until you get the answer you want. One caveat that people seem to mention is if you have applied for another chase card in the past 30 days. I have no experience with this so not sure they will necessarily budge if that is the case. Good luck!

druiddation likes this.
  3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call the reconsideration line and start off by explaining why you want the card. Good reasons are:

1) Points are flexible
    2) No forex fee
    3) Chase has great customer service ;)
    4) I just started flying CO or BA, and sapphire points can be transferred to CO or BA which is better than the X card I currently have.

Don't say "I want the 50,000 point bonus." That may flag you as a bonus abuser!

The analyst will then furiously bang his/her keyboard and make you an offer. I usually suggest that I'm willing to reduce credit lines on my other cards if I can get approved for the new card as the analyst is typing away.

On one occasion, the analyst told me that I'll have to cancel a card, so I cancelled a card which I would have anyway cancelled.

In my experience, Chase is awfully nice about this. Try calling back if it doesn't work out the first time.

4. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, great response. Very informative. Thanks!

jmhuth likes this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Quick question. When did you apply and how long did it take to get the rejection letter? I applied on the 3rd and have not heard anything.

jmhuth likes this.
  6. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was 7/6.....My husband got the rejection letter this past Monday & I still haven't received anything on my application....

7. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got my new card in the mail today....took 7 days... Hubby still needs to call w/ the tips above so hopefully we can get his approved too...

8. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called and had no luck. Even offered to move around credit lines or cancel a card...but the guy was firm on denying, saying that I had too many Chase cards/applications. Probably because I just got the BA card and the Priority Club one within the last 3 months and have had the CO once since January. How long should I wait until I try again?

jmhuth likes this.
  9. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try again. I was able to get reconsidered after getting on the phone with someone else. Got my chase Sapphire last week.

I got the CO and BA cards within the last 4 months.

jmhuth likes this.
  10. gtg007w

gtg007w Active Member

Status Points:
    I applied on the 1st too and have yet to hear back. I applied for Chase United in January and then the Chase Conti in April, I thought I should be OK since there's at least 90 days in between the credit pull showing up. I'm a bit worried here, wasn't sure if I should contact customer service until I actually get the denial letter.

If I do get rejected and I call customer service, is it worth telling them to close my United and Continental card, combine their credit limits to my Chase Sapphire? I got my sign up bonuses from both and am no longer intending to use those 2 anyway. I did have to pay for the membership fee for United, but considering the 50k miles and $50 voucher, I'd say it was worth paying $95.

jmhuth likes this.
  11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I applied on July 3rd and had not heard anything. Today I received a call wanting to verify my stated income and some other details. They then asked if I would allow them to reallocate some of my other Chase card lines of credit. Of course I agreed. Then received "instant" approval.

jmhuth likes this.
  12. notbgates
    Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for Sapphire Preferred CC last week, and it appeared on my online account page yesterday.
    No email or phone call (as the application acknowledgement forewarned) to set credit limit; I suppose
    the card will appear in the mailbox in a plain envelope one of these days. Applied through the website
    offering 50,000 points for 90 day spend. Hope to parlay into 100,000 by citing targetted offer sent to others.

NOTE TO FILE: CHANGE AVATAR: REPLACE MOTH-EATEN WALLET WITH CREDIT CARD CASE TICKET TO DEBTORS' PRISON.

jmhuth likes this.
  13. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend applied for this card and got denied. She called for reconsideration but had no success. She was told too many applications. Seems to me Chase is really cracking down as said friend has only done 5 cards or so in the past year, has good credit scores and only has one other Chase card.

jmhuth likes this.
  14. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hubby called today & got his approved... Just lowered the limit on the Hyatt card he has.... Yay!!

15. brianb032
    Original Member

brianb032 Active Member

Status Points:
    Mind if I ask how long it took for the card to show up in his online profile? I was initially denied, but I called in yesterday morning and they immediately accepted my application without consolidating any cards. I know it's only been a day, but it's hard not to get antsy when there's 50,000 miles danging in front of my face, a $3000 spending limit to reach, and no other form of communication verifying the acceptance aside from the operator's voice.

NVM: Just saw it posted as soon as I logged-in to make a payment. Now for the spending . . . :)

16. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got denied on the Chase Sapphire. They said it was because I had received 4 Chase cards in the last year..all with bonuses. United, Hyatt, Continental and Southwest. The oldest is 7 months.... I was told I can try again in 6 months. Planning to cancel United and Hyatt since the Chase Sapphire preferred give me those transfer options...but not sure if I should cancel before or after I apply! Then again may need to reconsider if the bonus is not available.

Chase has been good to me so I am not complaining...

17. P.S.

P.S. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was denied, did not think much of it, then reapplied again 3 months later and was approved. Seems rather random.

18. Dr. Tre

Dr. Tre Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got a mailer offer for this card with the promo of 100,000 points for spending $750. Is this normal? I seeing everyone post the promo is 50,000 points for $3,000.

Gaucho likes this.
  19. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    A great offer! Nice to get a fat bonus with low spend requirement. Go for it!!

20. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    You just got targeted for a better offer than the rest of us are getting... Go for it!! It's a great card too!