Chase Priority Club vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by nimasut, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently received the targeted promotion for the Priority Club Visa offering 80,000 points after first spend. I'm debating between this and the Chase Sapphire Preferred for 50,000 (it seems the 100,000 bump is no longer available). Since both are from Chase, I figure I can only do one right now. I have a modest amount of airline miles currently, but essentially no hotel points--priority club is by far the most at ~14,000. I also have 3 Chase cards (United, Continental, and BA). I am leaning towards the PC card because I am still completing spends on citi AA and chase BA cards and plan to open a citi AA business card. Just wanted to get peoples' opinions on which card offers more overall value (I'm guessing this is probably Chase Sapphire, though if they are close, I would lean towards the PC card to avoid the $3000 spend).
    Thanks!

I have included details for the Priority Club card below. I assume everyone knows the details for the Chase Sapphire.

Earn Faster
    • 80,000 bonus points with your first use1
    • 5 points per $1 spent at our hotels2
    • 2 points per $1 spent on eligible gas, groceries and dining purchases

Enjoy More
    • Free Night Certificate every year which can be used at any of our seven brands and 4,500 hotels worldwide3
    • 10% of your points given back after you redeem points with us4
    - For example, redeem 40,000 points and get 4,000 points back
    • No foreign transaction fees5
    • Complimentary Priority Club Gold Elite Status6
    • No annual fee the first year - a $49 value.5

JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the big selling points with Priority Club is that you can use points and cash to redeem awards. I booked some nights in Australia at a Crowne Plaza and a Holiday Inn for 15,000 points and $60 at properties that were going for over $200 a night. The other option was 25,000 points per night. In this case I find the small copay more than the value of the extra points I have to give up. There are a lot of promotions, if you plan on doing hotel stays, to bring in extra points. Take a look at the Loyalty Traveler website today as Rick covers some of those.

I'm due for renewal around September so haven't had the renewal fee and free night certificate yet. I do use their hotels primarily outside the U.S. (Hyatt is my main program in the U.S.) and benefit from the 0% forex fee.

I think I looked at the Chase Sapphire once before and found I couldn't transfer to AA which is my main program. Is that correct?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd look at my travel goals for the forseeable future and try to figure out which card is most helpful in achieving those. A theoretical value of points is just that - theoretical. Once you redeem for something you want you know the value.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. According to my handy Sapphire benefits manual, 1:1 points transfers are available for BA, CO, Marriott, Hyatt and PriorityClub.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Chase Sapphire card is the much better card. And 50k points with that card are worth more than 80k Priority Club points. I also wouldn't put any non-Priority Club spending on the Priority Club card, the earning is just too weak. I do like the rebate on award redemption, though. So it's a decent enough card to have, but not one I'd put spend on, and the Sapphire card is certainly more lucrative.

6. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Gleff regarding the value of the Priority Club card. I've had the free version for many years, and use it rarely. At 1pp$ on general spend, it's a terrible return and I only keep it because it's my oldest card and it's useful for PC's occasional multi-partner promos.

If you're looking for a hotel card, I like the Hilton Surpass from Amex. 3pp$ on general spend, double that at grocery stores, and triple at Hiltons. The Starwood Amex is legendary, of course, but as Gleff has pointed out, they're resting on their laurels a bit. I mainly use my *wood points for airline travel, though their cash & points options are often good. Good luck!

Andyandy

7. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Priority Club has a poorer sign-up bonus of 80,000 points which is worth ~$480 (using the "cash and points" trick). But the PC card also gives you a free night certificate, annually after the first year, which can be a good value if used at a high-cost property. And the 10% rebate on point redemption don't hurt either. But, as has been pointed out earlier, the earning on the PC card is not great for regular spending.

The Chase Sapphire has a richer sign-up bonus which can be redeemed for $500 in cash back, $625 if used for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, or better yet (since you indicated that you would like hotel points), transferred at a 1:1 ratio to Hyatt and redeemed for a value likely higher than $625. The earnings on regular spending is also better than the PC card.

The top category Hyatt hotels cost 22,000 points per night, so you could get 2 nights plus 6,000 points left over. But it all depends on how you intend to use the points and what's important to you!

8. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another unlisted advantage of the PC Visa (for the first year at least) is Platinum status, which gives the 50% bonus on earned base points and room upgrades. Other than that, it really depends on how you value the points. Find a good PointBreak offer or cash and points at a high value property as mentioned above, and you can get over $0.01/point value.

On the side, I really don't like the whole "I can buy points at $0.006/point, so that's the maximum value" gig--the points are worth what you get with them. If you get a $150 room for $60 + 5,000 points, then they're worth $0.018 (which does occur).

9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another advantage of getting PC Platinum status is that you can then use that to get status at some other hotel chains. I used my PC plat to gain status at Best Western, Choice and Carlson.
    So, if you need hotel points and status, this card is a good place to start.

Clocktower and JohnDeere19 like this.
  10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, this is the only real benefit of PLT status at PC. The only real value elite status in IHG is ambassador/RA.

11. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone! I just finished moving so finally have my internet set up again. I'm going to start with Chase Sapphire and then take my chances with PC Visa in a month--unless Chase comes up with something better in the meantime.