Chase Mileage Plus Visa Card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by sfo1, Nov 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious if anyone who does not live in the US but has an address in the US (friend etc)has been able to secure a Chase Mileage Plus Visa Card. As a citizen of the US I do have a social security number so that is no problem on the application.

FlyingBear likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    US citizenship or residency is required, and since Chase CS almost always asks for the last 4 digits of the SSN, it may be required as well.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was that a long way of saying yes to OP? :)

I don't see much of an issue, except for how long OP has been away and what sort of credit history would be associated with their SSN.

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there are two problems. 1. The address would be a business and 2. Have been out of the country for almost 40 years, so guess there would not be much of a credit report unless the US and Canada combine credit reports and I do have a US social security number as I am a citizen of the US. I was in a Chase bank a few months ago because I have a Chase checking account with a debit mastercard, using the US address, and when I mentioned the UA Mileage Plus Visa card the representative said that there might be away around getting one, but at that time I did not pursue it.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused: If you paid attention, you would have known that it was not, but I see that the OP has already taken care of business...

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was paying attention. There is an "or" present. Not "and". Soo.. errr... what were you saying?

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be clear. The OP had a question to which I provided relevant info that you denigrated because you thought, in your infinite wisdom, should have been obvious -- bad precedent or standard to set in a discussion group, in my view. That is what I am saying...

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not quite sure why you are set out to insult me while talking about "standards". Goes a bit contrary to your own message.

You did provide relevant information and in the context of what OP has provided (that he is indeed a citizen and has SSN), it was useful and to me meant that yes, with the information provided the OP could indeed try applying for the card. My comment was tongue-in-cheek since I thought we were on the same page. How you came up with it being "denigrating" is beyond me. Of course, you are welcome to going out of your way to get upset over providing useful information and disagreeing over its interpretation. I would not consider it "wisdom", but you are welcome to set whatever precedent you like.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for clarifying. Something like "Was that a long way of saying yes to OP? " can be misinterpreted and I clearly did. We are cool.:cool:

FlyingBear likes this.
  10. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    i too live outside the states -- no problem to get c.c. --they will even send it to me in europe via dhl fedx
    try to apply , it can not hurt you to apply --good luck

FlyingBear likes this.
  11. ariyo15
    Original Member

ariyo15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too got the card up here in Vancouver. They had to first send it to the US address associated to the account, which I used to apply, but then upon request they expedited a new copy to me here!

12. josinei

josinei Active Member

Status Points:
    When the terms and cond. says "citizenship or residency" it means the person applying needs to be a US Citizen or have residency (green card) like I do. We are also called only as residents instead citizens. Father more, of course the banks intention is to approve only people that lives in the US but that is not what the terms means in the situation above.

13. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, sorry to hijack this thread. But does anyone know if i can get another 10k bonus miles upon reaching 50k spend in a year?

14. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, residency in this case does not only apply to green card holders. And yes, I speak of experience since I obtained my Chase visa cards without US citizenship or green card. In this context, I would think that residency is much more about physical location or, potentially, tax residency. In any case, I've never had to prove the legality of my residence in the US for Chase.

For the initial opening, they want to have an address in the US. Once you are a cardholder, Chase has been quite happy to change my mailing address to a foreign address.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer