Chase Lounge Card Idea for Premier Plats/1Ks: Ability to Use GPU/RPU on Awards

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by J.Edward, Sep 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

1K's/.75k's would you sign up for/not cancel your Chase Lounge Card if it allowed GPU/RPU on awards?

1. Yes - This feature would entice me to sign up for or not cancel my Chase/United lounge card.

75.0%
  2. No - This feature would not entice me to sign up for or not cancel my Chase/United lounge card.

25.0%
  1. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Title pretty much says it all here -- what do y'all think about Premier Plats (75k) and 1Ks being able to use their RPUs/GPUs to upgrade award tickets issued from their account?

(I'd also suggest GS's but IIRC they can do this already.)

Would this added feature prompt you to apply/retain for the [whatever they end up calling the lounge card] going forward?

(Also please note: I'm asking this as an additional benefit to what's already offered and do not mean to imply a feature already existing on the card should be discontinued to allow for this.)

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't redeem miles for domestic or short-haul Intl awards, which pretty much rules out RPUs. On long hauls I'd rather get the miles for paying coach and use a GPU except for the few cases I buy an award in C (I'm not going to buy a Y award and use a GPU).

It is more important to me that I earn some EQM (I forgot the new term) than the possibility of a comp'd upgrade.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Elites on DL have this benefit at present.

4. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scottrick -- I did not mean to imply an existing benefit would be taken away.

(As it stands now customers can earn "quasi premier qualifying miles" QPQM (c) via the card.)

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    But I would very much expect existing benefits to be taken away. I think the recent trend suggests UA is moving away from cards that offer EQM, so it's important to emphasize the value of this benefit.

However, with or without the opportunity to earn EQM, I still stand by my vote that this upgrades on award travel is not a valuable benefit for me. It would not significantly affect my decision to apply for a card (which I've been holding out on until they announce the new lounge card benefits).

6. MileCardInsider

MileCardInsider Active Member

Status Points:
    I just wish they would modify the EQM benefit.

Make it so if you were already a 1K, you can requalify as 1K using up to 25,000 flex EQM to get you from Platinum. It prevents someone from getting 1K solely through spend, and prevents a prior Plat/Gold/Silver from doing it without jumping through the full flight hurdle.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since there are no UA affinity ccs for those of us not resident in the USA, I find this particular benefit of the Chase cc odious and an insult to top tier elites. Being able to have our regular upgrade benefit (either UDU or CR1) on award tickets (at least within NAmerica) would be an awesome elite benefit.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mea culpa. But none feature the same benefits nor generous signup bonus that the US Chase card does. If one were offered, I'd prefer the upgrade feature over lounge access.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's something to be taken up with the issuing banks, who presumably buy the benefits and bonus miles from UA. I certainly understand the desire for US-style credit card benefits.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a top-level card without lounge benefit. I just can't see myself shelling out hundreds of dollars for RCCs. I think right now UACO has no current card that really targets 1K flyers. I am hiding on to my EQM-earning legacy Chase card.