Chase is closing Sapphire acct due to point transfers

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by dogcrazy, Oct 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the title is misleading or at least premature, unless you you saw a first-hand account of that actually happening.

3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised the MMS didn't write a 22 part expose on the topic.

Don't forget to follow me on tooter and faceputz.

-David

4. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, doesn't really seem to be a regularly occurring issue; I wouldn't fret quite yet.

BeachMiles likes this.
  5. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dont worry it will be. Tons of posts on the various blogs about this already, flyertalk, dans deals etc

6. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure that they won't close your account for doing nothing wrong. In all likely hood those people that are getting their accounts closed are the same ones that abuse the OD and reload options. As with anything like this it's all about flying under the radar and not attracting attention to yourself. It's called common sense.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see people basically using the points as currency trading for selling lounge passes. I completely see how they might identify someone with lots of transactions like that. I.e. incoming points from like 10 accounts. (I did do one such trade.)

Singapore Flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you would be wrong. My account was closed years ago for paying before the bill was due! I was going to be out of the country and didn't want to risk paying late fees.

9. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that is a common practice by Chase. I would assume that if you explained the situation to them they would re open your account. It makes sense... Plus that was before everyone jumped on the OD 5X bandwagon and started to attract attention to themselves and everyone else. Explaining why you wanted to pay your bill earlier one time because you are out of the country is much easier to explain than why someone has $5K a month in charges at OD over and over and over again.

10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had a Chase card for sometime and I will generally pay cc bills before they are due, sometimes even twice in a month if I happen to be using it a bit. I actually use it though and don't reload. Account still open.

Not saying it didn't happen to you, but that is my experience. /shrug

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I also make payments before the bill comes. Want to keep my utilization low. Never had an issue with Chase or any other bank.

12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    One month I ran 10k through my SW card in a month with something like a $3k limit by paying early, letting it post and charging more charitable PayPal activity...

rodeojones and TAHKUCT like this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't want to believe me , no problem but the amount was large (I had a large charge planned). Although I was never given an explanation I was accused of money laundering by one persons account -even tho I didn't know what that was exactly, they did not give me 24k points I had earned and on which they had earned the merchant fee. It even took the controlling agency of the US government to get them to refund money they had for months that I had overpaid.
    Their ball their rules! And apparently no need to explain ANYTHING they do.
    Really tough since they seem to have most of the airline and hotel programs tied up.