Chase Hyatt VISA to have "Smart Chip" technology (not true Chip & PIN)

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Jenny & Curt, Feb 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received this email today:
    TRAVEL THE WORLD WITH SMART CHIP TECHNOLOGY
    [​IMG]
    You are one of the first Cardmembers who will receive a new Hyatt Credit Card with Smart Chip technology. (https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/smart-chip-card.htm)

This new feature will provide additional convenience and security when traveling abroad.
    [​IMG]
    Your new card will arrive within 30 days.
    Your account number and expiration date will remain the same.
    You can continue to use your current card until you receive your new one.
    Explore your favorite corner of the world with the perfect travel companion, your Hyatt Credit Card.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Come on Chase provide this on the Sapphire Preferred too! ​

LETTERBOY and FriendlySkies like this.
  3. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be a lot sweeter if they added "...and we'll give you 5,000 extra GP points after using the chip card for the first time...."

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't like this. It's essentially another variation of the RFID tech. You still have to sign, they're just creating an alternative to actually swiping the card. Inserting the card into a terminal instead of swiping it isn't making it any easier.

We need real Chip + PIN.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it even RFID based? I would have thought the reader requires physical/electrical contact with the chip's pins.

Yes, we need chip and pin. I don't know why Chase can't get with the program here. I had the BA Chip and Signature for a few months and canceled the account when it was due for renewal. I would have kept it if it was Chip+PIN.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mean it is RFID based. I was drawing a comparison to the PayWave and other IMO useless RFID based systems that have come out in recent years. They claim to be better, but they don't actually save any time over a swipe.

Most of what I have read about those systems indicates they are flaky and end up requiring a normal swipe in the end. Besides, it really isn't that hard to swipe a card. Not all readers have PayWave, but all have a slot for swiping (except some vending machines), so I just swipe every time and save myself the hassle of thinking too hard about how I'm going to pay for my stuff each time.

7. kebosabi

kebosabi Active Member

Status Points:
    If Chip-and-PIN is what you value the most, there are alternatives out there, notably the Andrews FCU Globetrek Rewards card.

MASTERNC over at FT was able to give a detailed process on how to obtain one from that credit union:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18032807-post641.html

List of EMV cards available in the US (link to Google Docs spreadsheet showing list of all EMV cards (PIN or Signature) available in the US today on Post #1).
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-available-today-chip-pin-chip-signature.html

With options available, you can tell Chase directly that Chip-and-Signature is not what you want, and you can easily apply for the Andrews FCU GlobeTrek Rewards card which offers full Chip-and-PIN, no annual fee, 1% forex rate, and earns rewards.

Give them examples and they will learn quickly that competitors and alternative options exist for travelers and they will have to meet our demands that Chip-and-Signature is not what we want.

jetsetr, LETTERBOY, harvson3 and 3 others like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was aware of most of those resources, but not the Andrews FCU card. Thanks for pointing that out. I think the Hyatt Visa still offers better rewards, though.

I do write to each of my banks each year asking that they adopt a Chip+PIN system. For now, I'm mostly grumble, but I may take more drastic measures if I get a job where I have to travel internationally.

9. kebosabi

kebosabi Active Member

Status Points:
    An increasing number of FTers are choosing this Andrews FCU as a backup card for unattended kiosks while abroad; with a no annual fee, a low 1% forex rate, with full Chip-and-PIN capabilities why not? It's the perfect backup card for those instances. Best of all did I mention that it has NO ANNUAL FEE?

Tell Chase that if they don’t provide Chip-and-PIN, they’ll be the one losing out to Andrews FCU for charges like a EUR 80 train ticket from Paris to Amsterdam or JPY 20,000 Shinkansen train tickets from Osaka to Tokyo, or CAD 60 gas fill up at gas stations in Canada (hey, the US isn't the only one feeling pain at the pump), all because they chose Chip-and-Signature without regards that automated ticket machines abroad sell high value tickets or that the US isn't the only country in the world facing high gas prices (lots of Americans drive and rent cars in Canada!). That’ll sure to get them scrambling that Chip-and-Signature is an half-assed solution that’ll only make world travelers choose the Andrews FCU card over theirs.

We're a market based economy based on competition. It's time US banks realize that there are competitors out there which offer better solutions for world travelers.

Grace and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt Visa has a 0% forex rate, and the annual fee comes with a free night, which I consider a worthwhile trade. I also like the comp'd Platinum status. I didn't say the Andrews card was awful, I just said that as a leisure traveler who only runs into this annoyance a few times a year, I don't yet see a reason to open a card just for Chip+PIN. I prefer for now to continue pushing Chase to offer Chip+PIN on my existing cards.

11. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is great, should make using the card internationally a bit easier.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't have problems buying Shinkansen tickets from a human with my regular credit card. But yes, I ran into machines for subway ticket and garage parking that wouldn't take my US card. Fortunately I had cash. That will for the time being my backup plan.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    The primary reason we don't move to "true" chip + PIN technology in the US is because of the switching costs related to changing technologies and payment terminals (let alone the real and psychological cost of changing US consumer behavior). And because the US population is the largest user of credit cards in the world (and because most of its citizens do not travel abroad and thus do not see the need and security benefits of chip + PIN), there is no incentive for the banks to offer it en masse. The banks figure, "sure, the card technology in the US is antiquated and more subject to fraud, but it costs less to change the system and just absorb the fraud charges, since we can recoup losses via increasing merchant swipe fees and consumer interest charge payments."

LETTERBOY and TAHKUCT like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does a chip+pin card only work in chip+pin terminals, or can it still be swiped and used with signature? I'd think it's the latter or the rest of the world would have problems unsung their cards in he US. If that's true, I don't necessarily see the cost of infrastructure as a reason not to issue chip+PIN cards to those who need it.

TAHKUCT and Seacarl like this.
  15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chip and Pin can be used as a signature only card. So Europeans have no problems using their cards in US, except at gas stations that require zip code verification.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    They can also be swiped & used with signature. It's not that the existing swipe terminals at merchants couldn't be used, per se. It's the cost of retrofitting automated machines (think mass transit systems, for example) that would need to be able to handle the chip reader technology.

But of course, to fully leverage the security features (and reduce fraud, which would in turn reduce chargebacks - which in and of themselves can be costly to merchants, especially if the chargeback ratio exceeds 1%), new machines and terminals would have to be issued en masse.

kenbo and TAHKUCT like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why would they have to be retrofitted? If the cards still have a mag strip, the current machines would still work, wouldn't they? Even if zip code validation is required, those cards still have a billing zip code, don't they?

Bottom line of my understanding: seems to me that chip and pin cards have a super set of features and thus should be fully backwards compatible. So merchants that want to benefit from reduced fraud rates would be encouraged to replace their existing terminals, but wouldn't be forced to do it "en masse".

But since that doesn't seem to be the plan, I must be missing something ;)

18. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you really want to read the debate on the pros and cons of EMV conversion, here are few insider and mass media links on the topic:

http://articles.businessinsider.com...5518_1_card-issuers-chip-and-pin-credit-cards

http://www.marketprosecure.com/pers...ce-its-us-users-to-use-chip-and-pin-1866.html

http://www.csdecisions.com/2012/01/29/will-emv-be-doa

http://www.freep.com/article/201112...their-credit-cards-comply-with-world-standard

TAHKUCT and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's crap. Until Chase has chip and PIN, any announcement of chip technology in a Chase card doesn't excite me. My Chase BA card with chip was useless in so many automated kiosks and fully staffed vendor windows in Germany, France and Netherlands. To say nothing of the fact it's nay impossible to use in an 'offline' kiosk.

I was one of the first with this card. Chase followed up with a survey offering 1000 miles (pre-Avios). I hadn't used the card yet but answered all survey questions promptly. They decided to give respondents 2000 miles. When I did use the card, I documented every successful and failed chip transaction (guess which column had more?) and sent that to Chase in a secure message. They kindly gave me 2000 Avios for it. And that card now sits in my desk drawer, not likely to be used anytime soon.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll read that later today (gotta get some work done). Basically, my amateur view of the situation is that it really shouldn't be any different from the transition from mechanical credit card swipers to those that read the mag strip and authorize via the phone network. I don't recall any forced mass transition because of incompatibility -- those old swipers are still in use by merchants that don't have phone or electricity access (or as a backup... I recently signed one of those card slips at... wait for it ... an AT&T store of all places). Here's an ironic example that shows one of those machines together with a chip'ed card.

21. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received my new card today with the chip techonology.

To be honest, I'm not really bothered about the technology. What I really did like though, was they way they presented the card. Whoever Hyatt/Chase has for their marketing, they do a pretty good job! Very impressive packaging. Made me feel like I was someone "special" ......:p

luv2travel and TAHKUCT like this.
  22. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got mine but don't think it has any smart chip technology. Would be a plus if you are trying to buy train tix from a kiosk in Europe that requires it.

23. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought all the cards they were issuing now had chip techonology?

LETTERBOY and TAHKUCT like this.
  24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Chip and PIN? Meh. The consumer protections are weaker on PIN transactions...

TAHKUCT likes this.