Chase Honeymoon

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by stephensilva1, Feb 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. stephensilva1

stephensilva1 Member

Status Points:
    Hi everybody! I am currently engaged and while the wedding/honeymoon will not be until next summer I was thinking that I should be planning on applying for credit cards soon to save up on points to lower the cost of the honeymoon. We were thinking of visiting Hawaii and spending no less than a week there but would love to spend two weeks. By spending two weeks we could visit two islands, specifically Maui and Kauai.

Both of these islands have Hyatt hotels (Category 6 = 22,000 UR points/night) which I've read online is supposedly the best hotel partner affiliated with Chase UR in terms of redemption. Anyways I currently only have a Chase Freedom with ~15,000 UR points and therefore was thinking (along with the fiancé) of applying for a few Chase cards. My Amex BCP 61 days CLI will be on April 1.

After my new CL posts I plan on applying for the Chase CSP (40,0000 bonus). I also read (and was wondering if any of you knew) that you can also apply and be accepted for a small business card despite having just applied for a personal card. Therefore I was also thinking of applying for the Chase Ink Plus (50,000 bonus). My AAoA will be around 18 months, income of $40k, and hopefully my Amex BCP will be around or above a $5k limit at the time of these applications (otherwise that leaves me with the Freedom as the highest limit of $3k).

What are my chances of being approved for both - and I am definitely ok with lowering the CL for my Freedom for the meantime in order for approvals.

Additionally my Fiance will be applying for the Ink Plus as well as the CSP or Freedom (unsure if she will be approved for CSP). And finally, I can always get one of the parents to apply for an Ink/CSP and transfer their UR points into my Hyatt account.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    CSP is a Visa SIg ... so I believe the minium credit limit is $5,000. Just keep that in mind.

otherwise sounds like a solid plan. Though you should be careful about the parentaly transfering points to you.

3. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, definitely a solid plan. If you know that you will definitely be staying at Hyatts, you have enough time to do two churns. You could each do the following:

Churn 1
    CSP - 40k UR points x2
    Chase Ink Bold - 50k UR points x2

Churn 2 (90 days later)
    Chase Hyatt - 2 free nights at any Hyatt x2
    Chase Ink Plus - 50k UR points x2

This would net you 280k UR points and 4 free nights with Hyatt between the two of you. This provides plenty of points for hotel nights as well as flights. If you can't/don't want to apply for all of those cards you can always back off to what you are comfortable with.

The Andaz in Maui is supposed to be opening soon...keep an eye out for that :)

stephensilva1 and rjbenedict like this.
  4. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    You'll love Kauai and the grand hyatt! Definitely worth the redemption! Also, follow the last comment in keeping an eye out for the andaz Maui.

stephensilva1 likes this.
  5. stephensilva1

stephensilva1 Member

Status Points:
    Awesome thanks for the advice guys! I was doing research the other day and came across the Andaz in Maui opening up soon! I was so excited, it seems like perfect timing! :)

Would you guys recommend trying to open an Amex SPG to redeem points for other hotels on either island or a miles card to lower the cost of the airfare - or should I just try and focus my efforts on building up UR points/Hyatt points?

I was trying to avoid cards that I won't be using later on and seeing as I won't be traveling anytime soon after this honeymoon I would have no reason to continue paying annual fees for cards like the SPG or Chase Hyatt. Would you guys still recommend applying for those cards or is there a way to downgrade them so that you can still receive some benefits without paying the annual fee (like downgrading the Ink Plus or Bold down to the no fee Classic while still having the 5% bonuses).

rjbenedict likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a big fan of NCL but I would fly there and do the week cruise on NCL or take a cruise from the west coast to HI. It will cover your room, most food and you get to visit most of the islands.

7. stephensilva1

stephensilva1 Member

Status Points:
    We're really not interested in a cruise (at least for the honeymoon), we'd rather stay on the island and have more freedom/time to choose whatever we would like to do during the day. But thanks for the suggestion! :)

8. iangilson

iangilson Active Member

Status Points:
    I try to focus on one or two cards rather than spread my points over many cards. If you are not a frequent flyer that reaches premier status then pick a card that exempts baggage fees.

9. stephensilva1

stephensilva1 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice and I completely agree which is why I'm trying to select cards whose points can either be combined (UR Rewards) or will keep in the long run. Seeing as we are going to be visiting Maui I would definitely love to stay at the new Hyatt Andaz that is opening this spring. It looks like it will be a Category 6 so that will be 22,000 UR points/night. Let me know if this plan needs any adjustments/incorrect:

After our Amex BCP CLI (hopefully to around $5k) on April 1, my fiance and I will apply for the Chase CSP. If approved, I will also go on to apply for the Chase Ink Bold.

-2 Chase CSP - 40,000 sign up bonus + 3000 points (to meet minimum spend)
    -1 Chase Ink Bold - 50,000 sign up bonus + 5000 points (to meet minimum spend)
    -Currently have ~15,000 points on Chase Freedom
    Total UR Points = 156,000 points

156,000 points can get me 5 free nights with 46,000 points leftover to be applied to United Airline for the tickets (I think I read somewhere that it was 80,000 UR points for 2 round trip tickets to HI from NY).

We will also be applying for the Amex SPG each. Since we were approved, separately, for the Amex BCP on January 21 when should we apply for the Amex SPG (after our CLI on April 1, after applying for Chase cards, etc.)?

-2 Amex SPG - 25,000 sign up bonus + 5000 (to meet minimum spend)
    Total Starwood Points = 60,000 points

60,000 points (for a Category 5 hotel) are good 3 nights (16,000/night) or 12 nights + $1080 (using the Cash & Points option). Would it be possible to pay for 3 nights with just points (3 nights = 48,000 points) and then for the last 2 nights use the C&P option (2 nights = 9600 points + $180)? This option would leave me with 2,400 points leftover and only $180 out of pocket.

rjbenedict likes this.
  10. stephensilva1

stephensilva1 Member

Status Points:
    Just two quick questions:

1) Is it possible to pay for 3 nights using only Starwood points and then the last two nights with the Cash & Points option?

2) After my Amex BCP 61 day CLI on April 1, how soon and in which order should I apply for the Amex Starwood, Chase CSP and Chase Ink Bold?