Chase has dropped 7% Annual Bonus for New Sapphire Preferred Customers

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Zomby Woof, Jul 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Current card holders will still earn the bonus for spend in 2014 and 2015. After that it will be discontinued. Chase did up the trip cancellation/trip interruption benefit from $5K max to $10K and made the rental car insurance primary vice secondary.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a link?

jbcarioca and TAHKUCT like this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Intellectually I can understand that the increases in the trip cancellation and the primary insurance benefit can be really huge benefits to certain types of travelers, however, since these benefits don't particularly help me out very often, I will definitely miss the 7% bonus on the card. The other benefits of the card still make it worth keeping for me, and I think these new benefits will be very helpful for people especially those who rent vehicles often.

jbcarioca, traveltoomuch and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe someday a CC company will offer a card where you can choose your benefits instead of one size fits all. For example, would have been nice if card holders could choose the 7% bonus or Primary Rental Coverage.

sheikkila02 and jbcarioca like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Amex has something like that ... Zinc I think it was called... where you could "add" pkgs to your account.

Anyways ... nice to have Primary CDW but sad that 7% is going away. That being said CSP is still probably my best card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    So it seems that those of us that opened our card in 2012/2013 are good until 2015?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. You should still get a dividend in Feb 2015 (for 2014 year) and Feb 2016 (for 2015 year).

IberianNomad likes this.
  9. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very well...thank you!

10. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    Sorry here: I figured you'd appreciate a valid source.

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp...ment&jp_cmp=cc/94049/ema/EM03610/Body_image_1

Discontinuing 7% Annual Points Dividend
    After 12/31/2015, you will no longer earn the 7% Annual Points Dividend. You will be awarded your final 7% points dividend in early 2016. You can still continue to enjoy the many other ways to be awarded rewards such as 2X points on travel and dining and 1 point on all other purchases.

I believe the terms for new applicants no longer include the dividend. Not sure what the cutoff date was precisely.

11. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the contrary,, keep scrolling down and you will learn that you will no longer be earning 2x points on travel:
    https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp...ment&jp_cmp=cc/94049/ema/EM03610/Body_image_1
    Earn on Travel
    You will continue to earn an extra 1 point for each $1 of airfare and hotel accommodations booked through Chase.com/UltimateRewards until 12/31/2015. After that, you will no longer earn an extra point. We may periodically offer ways for you to earn bonus points through the program.

I am more upset about this than I am about the 7% bonus.

12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uhh no. That's the UR.com travel site bonus we used to get.

If you buy a plane tix it's still 2x.

sheikkila02 likes this.
  13. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    Just to clarify Edekba's post: Your 2x on travel/dining in general is intact, but you won't get extra points on top of that for airfare/hotels bought through chase UR portal.

Yes apparently people booked travel a fair bit through the chase UR portal. Never did it myself.

edekba likes this.
  14. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was the best sign-on bonus from CSP?

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    60K, I think. That might just have been for the Ink cards. 40K is the best out there now, IIRC.

edekba and danielwood like this.
  16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading that when CSP first came out, chase was doing targeted 70k+ (I remember reading 100k) for it. But those days are long gone...