Chase Freedom Q2: Lowe's & Restaurants

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by gconnery, Mar 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can now activate your Q2 bonus on the Chase Freedom card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/activate

Of course Q2 doesn't start until April 1st, so there's no great hurry. But I thought it might be worth a thread discussing how to maximize this quarter.

You earn 5X up to $1,500 in spend in restaurants (standalone, fast-food included) and Lowe's. Or 7,500 UR points that can be transferred to, for example, United Miles or Hyatt Points.

I'm wondering if there are any obvious tricks I'm missing. Obviously you could actually put restaurant spend and actual Lowe's purchases on your card, but I doubt I'll get anywhere close to $1,500 that way. Sure I could pre-purchase $1,000 in restaurant Gift Cards or something but there's opportunity cost to laying out that money.

I suspect there's some angle to the HIGC I'm unaware of, though last I played around with one of smaller denomination it was actually kind of a pain to unload.

2. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Lowe's need a new dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, ... ? Water heater over 10 years old?

3. beachminter

beachminter Member

Status Points:
    activated the 5% today. would be interested in any tricks as well!

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, most Lowes' sell other gift cards as well. So if you miss the 5% cash back on gas then buy Sunoco gift cards at Lowe's!

gconnery likes this.
  5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Looks like Dan's Deals did a nice job a year ago compiling gift cards that you can buy at Lowe's:

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/29164

A Sunoco card won't help me much (I can't recall seeing any Sunoco stations on the west coast). But the list seems to include:

Amazon Gift Cards (we spend a lot at Amazon, and you can put the credit to use well into the future easily)
    iTunes (not going to use up a lot here, but a precharge of a bit at 5X ain't a bad plan)
    Shell (we certainly do have Shell gas stations, and I could probably do a lot of the $1,500 spend here)
    Southwest (I could always stock up on some Southwest Gift Cards for the future)

There's a few others that might work as well. Your list might be different of course, but it looks like they have lots of options. This'll probably work.

MX likes this.
  6. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. This quarter seems a bit bad for MS, decent for normal spend, though, considering the variety of gift card options. There's a possibility for resale but you'd have to be able to find some good deals.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the good news is that it really is the right quarter for ACTUAL Lowe's spend. Some backyard furniture is now on hold waiting for April 1.

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    5 X is points not 5% off ?

Lowe's gift cards are not 5% off! but the card gives you 5 points, their us a difference.

10% movers coupons can be bought off Ebay, but again you still pay full price for the Shell Gas Card....

With INK and OD. HIGC we get 5 % off Lowe's, merchandise, excluding gift cards..